Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Thoughts on TS02-087 Bavarian Sharps  (Read 8211 times)

acwbullets

• Email
Thoughts on TS02-087 Bavarian Sharps
« on: March 13, 2011, 03:22:26 PM »
I have been digging deep into Indian War Cartridges and finally pinpointed what I think these bullets are. They tend to show up in civil war sites but show up in large numbers out west in specific areas. With that being said, they are still early projectiles. I believe that these bullets are either for the the .50/70, the .50/45, or maybe the same round was used in both. Everything on them seems to mic out right as well as the crimp mark on the ones that I have seen. For those of you who don't know, the .50/70 cartridge was an early cartridge for the Trapdoor Springfield. These cartridges were internally primed using the "Benet" system and were only in use for a short time after the American Civil War. The more popular .45/70 soon dominated the American West. These are probably showing up at Civil War sites due to them being popular when they were first sold/issued. We tend to dig a lot of them at river crossing areas here. However, these crossings were used well after the civil war so it would make sense to see some post war ammo used at these popular sites used by the public.

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
Re: Thoughts on TS02-087 Bavarian Sharps
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2011, 05:16:50 PM »
Really interesting point of view, Ian.

Hey everybody, I have a Bavarian Sharps bullet for sale  ;)