Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Detector Repair  (Read 8982 times)

Jack Wells

• Email
Detector Repair
« on: September 06, 2012, 01:29:09 PM »
I have been given a Compass "Judge 2" metal Detector,that will not work, The machine will be 22 yr's old in Nov,and looks brand new.The "Giver",said he had used it three(3) times for a total of less than six (6) hrs.,took the battries out,and put it up as he had to quit hunting due to medical problems. Any idea who would be able to repair it ? From what I can find on the internet, Compass is no longer in buisness ? The machine,is in mint condition,and would be a shame not to use it provided I can get itrepaired reasonably.
Thanks in advance for any and all leads.
Jack
Charles.J.Wells (Jack)
SGM. U.S.A. Ret.

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
Re: Detector Repair
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2012, 09:12:22 PM »
Did you put batteries in it?   ;D

You might be limited to an electronics repair place that actually works on stuff and doesn't just do board replacement.  I would think since it sounds like it worked when you put it up that the tuners, etc. just got a bit of crud in them and some cleaning by someone who knows what they are doing might be all that it need. I am not familiar with that model and haven't even seen many Compass detectors so I don't know good they are.  I would keep in mind that if it cost much to fix it you can probably find a decent used detector that is at least as good.

Some better advice for you would proably be to post on TreasureSpot or similar site:
    http://www.mytreasurespot.com/main/
    http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/metal-detecting/
    http://metaldetectingforum.com/
and ask other Compass users where they get theirs repaired.  There may even already be a forum entry regarding your need.
Best,
Carl

Pete George

• Email
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2012, 10:46:59 PM »
  I was going to suggest the same thing Carl recommended (ask in those other forums which have detedtor-specific discussion categories), but he beat me to it.  I am already a registered member at MyTreasureSpot.com and TreasureNet.com ...so if you don't want to bother with registering at those two sites, I'll post your statement over there and tell you about whatever responses I get.

Regards,
Pete

Jack Wells

• Email
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2012, 04:17:10 AM »
Pete,
Would really appreciate your posting the question for me.
Jack
Charles.J.Wells (Jack)
SGM. U.S.A. Ret.

pipedreamer65

• Email
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2012, 01:39:01 PM »
I don't really have much to add here, but I own an old (circa 1992) Compass Coin Scanner 2 and at the time it was a really good detector.  Factory preset to throw out nails, foil, cans and other small trashy junk.  I hunted a lot of house sites and found good stuff with it.  I still have it as a backup detector and used it a little last fall.

Anyway, Compass is out of business.  I concur with the above sentiments about getting a true electronics repairman to look it over real good, clean and check connections. 

Selma Hunter

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2012, 06:40:11 PM »
Jack -

I have an old Whites that is about 1988 vintage.  It worked great when I bought it used about 10 years ago.  Shortly afterwards, in about 2006 my legs quit on me and so I had to give up a digging hobby that never got started good.

I'm about to send it down to Kellyco in Orlando(?) for an overhaul.  It has a small coinshooter head as well as a larger 10" (I bought that new).  It runs off of 4 x C Cell batteries and I was happy as a clam in old mud when I was able to work with it.  I send this because in the several occasions that I had to work with the  folks down there they always went out of their way to be helpful.  I'm sure they could direct you to the folks who own whatever is left of Compass.

Jack Wells

• Email
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2012, 11:18:06 AM »
Thanks to every one for the in put,all is greatly appreciated
Jack
Charles.J.Wells (Jack)
SGM. U.S.A. Ret.