Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Confederate, NOT  (Read 13625 times)

misipirelichtr

• Email
Re: Confederate, NOT
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2012, 10:06:02 PM »
Gary, thanks for the additional info on the pewter eagle buttons.  The association with early Mississippi troop camps makes sense given the known recovery locations. 

speedenforcer

• Raulerson Relics
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2012, 01:56:09 AM »
Thanks to everyone for their replies. very educational.
It's not always "Survival of the fitest" sometimes the idiots get through.

modockowando

« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2012, 12:54:13 AM »
I am new here and just wanted to introduce myself.  I live in the northeast.. Enjoy digging a little too much.  Hope to learn more about bullets etc. in joining this group.  Looking thru some of the recent posts i ran across this one.. On buttons.  Just found one of these today- in maine.  I thought it was really cool as i hadn't found one before.  In doing some amt of research (web) it seemed to be  identified with the south (for the most part) - i was surprised by this. 

modockowando

« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2012, 08:57:35 AM »
This is the one I picked up yesterday.  The other button was in the same hole along with a number of bullets (couple different types).  Maybe the one I found is a Yankee General Service Eagle Button.  It is in process of being cleaned up a bit (shine)

ETEX

« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2012, 01:40:55 PM »
Welcome to the forum and enjoy. Hope to see pics of some of the bullets you have dug.

Selma Brooke Gunner

• Email
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2012, 02:09:09 PM »
Welcome to the forum. Never to fear to ask a question the folks here are Great :)
Gordon Thrasher
Selma Brooke Study
Kinston, Al
selmabrookestudy@yahoo.com

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2012, 03:43:34 PM »
Welcome modockowando!  Glad to have a new member and poster!  I would venture a guess we don't have too many from Maine!

Congrats on the US pewter.  I've only found one of those but it's one of my favorite finds due to the period used and the letters on the front.  I just really found I thought it a cool find for my meager button collection.

The other looks like a general service eagle button to me as well but I'm no button guy.  We're mostly bullet and artillery guys here but knowing many of the members I'd be shocked it we didn't have some top notch button guys too.  It's amazing the knowledge you'll find on this forum.
Best,
Carl

Pete George

• Email
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2012, 04:47:00 PM »
  Your button with the eagle appears to be an "early" version of the US Army eagle-button.  (On the "early" versions, the eagle is shown "leaning" toward its left side.)  If your is a 1-piece brass button (the loop was attached directly onto the rear of the button's front), it is from the 1820s through late 1830s.  If your "leaning eagle" button is a 2-piece button (the loop was attached to a disc of brass in the back of the button), it is from the late-1830s through 1853.

Would you be the honest seller I recently communicated with on Ebay, and whom I invited to join this forum?

Regards,
Pete

modockowando

« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2012, 08:21:04 PM »
Yep.. It's me!   Thanks again for the invite.  Good to talk and share. 

I am always thrilled to find a button since they can be easy to miss even with a pin pointer. These two were wedged in pretty good!  Went back to this same area today but time was limited so only came home with a few bullets and spatter.  I'll get a photo of the back side  of the us army eagle-button to show everyone. Interesting about the lean of the eagle!    More abt the back:  the shank is missing; one-piece domed with stars and dots, also  two circles, and two letters on the back.. Possibly a T (?) and an R.  manufacturers initials??  and yes, it appears to be brass. Let me know what you think once you see the photo.

I will throw some bullets out for id also.. Just need to get back to the computer for this.  I have just started posting some of my finds on ebay.. Still learning the ropes.  Had a nice button go out today.. Sort of sad to see it go but i can only hold onto so much.

modockowando

« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2012, 08:37:31 PM »
Here's the photo of the back side of this button. 

Pete George

• Email
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2012, 11:18:54 PM »
  According to info in the McGuinn-&-Bazelon book on button-backmarks ("American Military Button Makers And Dealers; Their Backmarks & Dates"), the "R R" in your 1820s-30s 1-piece eagle-button's backmark represents Richard Robinson, one of the button-makers during that time-period at the firm of R&W Robinson in Attleboro Massachusetts.  The book says the firm had a contract for making eagle-A (Artillery) buttons in 1820, and produced eagle-I buttons during the 1820s/30s.  So, your button could have had either an A or an I on its shield.  Is there any trace of such a letter remaining on it?

Regards,
Pete

modockowando

« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2012, 06:49:52 AM »
The shield is too worn to appreciate any type of lettering on it.. But this is great information.  Thank you!  Also good to have the source..