Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Confederate, NOT  (Read 13687 times)

speedenforcer

• Raulerson Relics
It's not always "Survival of the fitest" sometimes the idiots get through.

mccaul

• Email
Re: Confederate, NOT
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2012, 07:15:48 AM »
He is pretty clueless!

PIA

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2012, 12:39:46 PM »
Maybe he says it's Confederate because it was dug in a CS camp.  I've dug a pretty good few in Southern camps, BUT would never imply they were Confederate made.

speedenforcer

• Raulerson Relics
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2012, 01:25:05 PM »
Yes you are correct, as the south did use a lot of yankee stuff. They had to use what they had.
It's not always "Survival of the fitest" sometimes the idiots get through.

Lamar

• Email
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2012, 03:40:30 PM »
He might have made an honest mistake on that button, but I'm not giving him the benefit of the doubt. He has a history of flat out lying about some of his items.

PIA

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2012, 04:36:59 PM »
Just want to make it clear that I'm not defending the guy.  I know more about bullets than buttons.  The post did bring up a question in my mind, though.  Did the South ever produce eagle sheild, eagle I, etc. buttons?

ETEX

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2012, 05:40:08 PM »
I don't know about buttons either but just wanted to say hey Gary. Long time no hear from.

Pete George

• Email
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2012, 06:13:15 PM »
PIA wrote:
> Did the South ever produce eagle sheild, eagle I, etc. buttons?

There is only one Confederate-made imitation of the US enlisted-man's eagle button (raised wings, shield on eagle's chest).  The somewhat similar looking CS-made version is shown in the A.H. Albert button book as button CS-44.  On it, the eagle's head faces in the opposite direction from the typical yankee button's eagle.  It was only issued to officers, and it is extraordinarily rare.

The Confederacy did not manufacture any imitations of the US Army Field-grade officer's version of the "eagle" button (raised wings and a letter in the shield).  The only "close" CS-made counterpart is the super-rare "CS-in-shield" officer's button, which has raised wings but the eagle is surrounded by stars.  See the Albert book's buttons CS-17 and CS-18.

Regards,
Pete

pipedreamer65

• Email
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2012, 07:53:19 AM »
That seller a lot of times treads a fine line on the items he offers.  As with the button in question, he steps over the line as well. 

misipirelichtr

• Email
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2012, 05:45:33 PM »
While I agree with everything in Mr. George's post above, I do want to add that a number of what I believe are field cast or local cast pewter eagle shield buttons have been recovered in both VIcksburg and Port Hudson from Confederate camps.  In fact, I've foud a couple and will try to post them up soon.  I don't know who made them, and I feel sure the Confederacy did not manufacture them, but enough have been found with what seem to be crude mold seams that it was more than a soldier or two making do with what they had.  And I have had the chance to compare them to earlier US pewter eagle buttons and there is a difference.  I know at least one other forum member has recovered these as well - other thoughts or comments as to origin??

misipirelichtr

• Email
Pewter eagles
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2012, 03:50:38 PM »
Finally, here are the photos of what I believe to be are CS used and possibly local or even field cast pewter eagle buttons.  Two of these I recovered from a CS camp in west central Mississippi; the third was recovered in Port Hudson.  I coated two of these with a matte finish polyurethene to prevent further deterioration; that is why they appear "shiny" in the photo.  I know of others recovered in the VIcksburg theater of operations and Port Hudson.  Anyone with more info on these, I certainly would welcome your thoughts or comments

rommack

• Email
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2012, 07:38:53 PM »
Just wanted to add to the pewter eagle conversation.  I have dug quite a few of these buttons in Confederate Camps in Port Hudson.  It looks to me as if  a Yankee General Service Eagle Button was to make the mold for these buttons.  We don't find any evidence of the molding haven taken place in the field.  Can you imagine if they would have used a droop wing CS button to make the mold, how much more interest there would be in these buttons. Ronnie

ETEX

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2012, 04:45:22 AM »
I recall talking to Gary several years back and he had dug a mess of pewter buttons in Mississippi but I don't recall what the buttons had on them.

alwion

• Email
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2012, 06:48:39 AM »
SDince I didn't know about them, and never saw them before, I think the're cool for what they are. wish I had found one, lucky dogs:)))

PIA

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2012, 07:31:27 PM »
The pewter Eagle Shield buttons are kinda neat and, in my opinion, under rated and under valued among collectors.  They are associated with early war Mississippi troops.  Dug most of mine in a 1862/63 Mississippi infantry brigade camp near Grenada, MS.  Finding a good specimen has become so much more difficult since the pewter has broken down over the years.  Especially hard to get one with the loop still on the back.
Gary