Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Unusual Confederate Time Fuse Adapter  (Read 7403 times)

misipirelichtr

• Email
Unusual Confederate Time Fuse Adapter
« on: August 07, 2012, 10:02:11 PM »
I had the opportunity to view a fellow CW collector's collection today, and noticed something I'd not seen before.  It may be easily explained, or pretty common - but it was a first for me.  In one display of Confederate artillery shells, frags, and fuses recovered from an impact area in Union lines, I found he had 3 (maybe 4) Confederate time fuse adapters that appeared to have had the top sawn, chiseled or otherwise removed from the bottom threaded part of the adapter.  This may be something that's pretty common, but it was a first for me.  First thought might be that the explosion might have sheared the top off each fuse, but if you have them in your hand it is very apparent the top of each had been deliberately chiseled or somehow sheared from the threaded bottom part of the fuse adapter. I've attached a view of the fuse adapters from the top, a view of them from the bottom, and one closeup that clearly shows what appears to me to be saw or chisel marks.  Any ideas on why this was done, or if anyone else has recovered anything like this will be appreciated.  Thanks.

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
Re: Unusual Confederate Time Fuse Adapter
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 10:10:53 PM »
Bored soldiers, but they could also hammer out the discs to make rings or washers or whatever.  Here are some a forum member found together.  I have seen others including one Alan Gaskins had on eBay last week.

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2012, 10:34:26 PM »
Certainly some were separated by the detonation.
John

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2012, 10:36:41 PM »
Maybe but a high number, including some of Jimmy's, my sawed up one and the one I mentioned on eBay, show cut marks.

misipirelichtr

• Email
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2012, 10:46:12 PM »
Again, thanks Mike for the response.  I've got a pretty fair carved lead collection, but "carved fuse adapters" are a new one for me, and something that never entered my mind.

I now have a new goal - to post something artillery related that you don't have a photo of in your vast reference archives  :)