Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Help With Museum -- ID Requests  (Read 6383 times)

callicles

• Email
Help With Museum -- ID Requests
« on: August 05, 2012, 12:29:03 AM »
Went by our local museum (I live in a very small town).  Took some pictures of items donated that need to be identified and/or explained.  I told the historian that people here could help.

1.  First pictures are of a 3" Hotchkiss fragment.  There is some sort of rod poking up from its base.  What is that?

2. Fuse was found at Grand Gulf in 1980.  On the top face, says "ORD.D."  There is a picture of an anchor on the right top face.  On the bottom of the face, says "1862." What caliber would this be from (sorry, we did not have rulers or calipers).  Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 12:54:22 AM by callicles »

Pete George

• Email
Re: Help With Museum -- ID Requests
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2012, 01:31:46 AM »
  I'm still on kidney-stone painmeds, but those two questions are easy to answer.

The "rod" is actually a simple square-nail, which held the casting mold's sand-core in the proper position during the casting of Hotchkiss Case-Shot ammunition.  I should mention that it (the square-nail) was not used in casting Hotckiss Common-Shells.

The fuze marked "ORD" with anchor and date is a US Navy Watercap (waterproof) fuze.  It was used in every caliber of Navy roundshells, so there is no way to know which caliber of roundshells the museum's fuze was in.

Regards,
Pete

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2012, 08:48:59 AM »
The "nail" in the Hotchkiss is I think only seen in case shot ones.  Here is a section of one:

The watercap fuse adapter is probably from a 32pdr ball or larger.  I say that because the 24pdrs had a shorter bushing because the shell walls were thinner.  Here's a picture of what I mean:

swest47

• Email
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2012, 11:38:03 AM »
Neat find callicles! I don't recall ever seeing a Hotchkiss sabot, bottom, and 1/4 of the shell together.

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2012, 12:38:19 AM »
By chance could the nail not have been used to hold the sand core but actually had something to do with holding the pusher plate in place since it's only seen on case?

Callicles: That is a nice frag. I've not seen one section like that either.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 08:32:18 AM by CWArtillery »
Best,
Carl

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2012, 07:38:15 AM »
Carl,
 That is a good question, why not both shell and case shot, both have sand cores.
John

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2012, 11:30:23 AM »
See below for a possible twist.  This appears to be a common shell (i.e. not case shot) which also has a nail.  This image was sent to me by a forum member.

Best,
Carl

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2012, 12:36:00 PM »
Carl,
   It just goes to prove that nothing is firm in our opinions.
  I have chatted with a foundry person who says nails and pegs are used to support the sand core during the pour.  Remember my casting image of the Hotchkiss?  Again my assumption.
Regards,
John

callicles

• Email
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2012, 11:17:25 PM »
I've been busy lately, but wanted to take the time to say "thanks" for the responses.  All this information will be very helpful to us.