Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: 12 pd Case Shot Cut in Half  (Read 30470 times)

Jine

Re: 12 pd Case Shot Cut in Half
« Reply #45 on: July 31, 2012, 07:52:30 AM »
John, I don't know what 6lbgun's resource may be but this is a mighty fine place to start:

http://ehistory.osu.edu/osu/search/searchMore.cfm?more=1&typeOfSearch=or&keywords=Bormann

I hope you're resting well, Pete. We look forward to your rebound, or perhaps recoil?
"Let every man serve God daily, love one another, preserve your victuals, beware fire, and keep good company." -- Admiral Sir John Hawkins (1532-1595)

6lbgun

• If at first you don't Secede, try, try again.
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: July 31, 2012, 10:43:53 AM »
John,
   You asked how I come up with this stuff so fast?  A lot of it from notes I have taken while reading or scanning the internet.
Most of the notes are the old fashion paper variety not on my computer, and I'm lucky if I find it guickly.  The OSU sight that Jine mentioned is a great source for the ORs.  Another great search engine for the ORs is Cornell University Library's site
Making of America http://ebooks.library.cornell.edu/m/moa/.  What is great about this sight is that it allows you to search other period sources at the same time.  The National Archives are good too, but they don't make it easy.
    Another source of information on CW artillery that I think is much neglected by us are the notes and bibliographys listed in the reference books and books on the CW in general. Artillery unit histories and personnel recollections are a treasure trove of information.
One word of caution;  Once you get "hooked" on research by pepared to spend a lot of time in doing it.  I have spent hours and hours, and days and days in finding what I was looking for.  I'm retired, so I guess I have more time than most.
Dan

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #47 on: July 31, 2012, 03:39:18 PM »
Pete,
   I have had stones so know how it feels, hurts like all get out.
Mind the doc and take your meds.
Best Regards,
John

alwion

• Email
« Reply #48 on: July 31, 2012, 07:01:26 PM »
Take Care Pete!!!

Pete George

• Email
« Reply #49 on: July 31, 2012, 10:25:47 PM »
  Update: Had a second kidney stone hit me at 2:50 AM this morning.  (First one was on Sunday).  According to the Urologist, there's only one more left.  Could hit anytime between tonight and 6 months from now.  If it delays, I'll be back to posting "on topic" later this week.

Speaking of "on topic" ...I very much appreciate y'all's good wishes, but please, I don't want the excellent relic-discussion which was happening in this thread to be derailed.  It's not over.  I felt obligated to (briefly) explain my silence, lest anybody assume I had dropped out of the discussion.  I'll be back.

Again, my thatnks to each of you who has expressed concern and get-well-soon wishes.

Regards,
Pete

Jine

« Reply #50 on: August 01, 2012, 07:00:09 AM »
Thank you, 6lbgun, for your research insights and that Cornell link, most interesting! I hope to make it to retirement one day, and if successful I'll be walking in your tracks, no doubt. There's something both rewarding and addictive in such pursuits.

I considered starting a new thread with the quote below, as there is no Bormann reference, but hopefully the discussion of defective fusing warrants its inclusion here. This comes from Fighting for the Confederacy, a compilation of 1st Corps Chief of Artillery E.P. Alexander's memoirs that many here are likely familiar with, and I'm finding to be a great read and offering insights into the CS "long arm".

The subject here is the third day at Gettysburg, and I offer my apologies in advance if, unknown to me, this quote has already seen use on this forum:

"The proposition of Gen. Longstreet's critics is that a considerable force of his artillery should have charged along with his infantry. But that general suggestion does not go into detail, & there are many important details to be considered. First it must be borne in mind that our Confederate artillery could only sparingly, & in great emergency, be allowed to fire over the heads of our infantry. We were always liable to premature explosions of shell & shrapnel, & our infantry knew it by sad experience, & I have known of their threatening to fire back at our guns if we opened over their heads. Of course, solid shot could be safely used, but that is the least effective ammunition, & the infantry would not know the difference & would be demoralized & angry all the same."

Brief aside- I'm glad you've made more progress, Pete, although it comes with great displeasure.
"Let every man serve God daily, love one another, preserve your victuals, beware fire, and keep good company." -- Admiral Sir John Hawkins (1532-1595)

callicles

• Email
« Reply #51 on: August 02, 2012, 01:59:08 AM »
Been rather busy lately, but thought I'd give an update. I received the sectioned case shot Tuesday. The pitch/tar/matrix (I'm not sure the proper term to use) was extremely sticky.  After all, it had travelled from Virginia to Mississippi in extreme heat via UPS.  However, after about 2 hours of being uncovered in an air conditioned (room tempature) environment, it set up very well.  The pitch/tar is now turned into a hardened substance, which I was glad to see.  The case shot appears to be lead and the rebate is very obvious. 

I'm not sure, but it appears that some remnants of the gasket is present.  Let me rephrase that:  there MIGHT be remnants of the gasket because, frankly, I don't know what I'm looking at with confidence, it could be something else entirely.  (Hell, just the other day I though rebates were something you got at Wal-Mart.) When I get time I might post more pictures if it seems relevant.

Thanks to everyone who has posted such great information on this thread.  I can't tell you how much I've learned.  Also, I hope Pete gets well and back into the saddle!!!!!  For, although damn-near every post contains incredible knowledge, there appears to be differing opinions about the Boremann fuse, whether it was installed at arsenals or not, whether you could really remove one and place another, etc, etc.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 02:00:17 AM by callicles »