Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Muskets  (Read 7312 times)

callicles

• Email
Muskets
« on: July 05, 2012, 01:25:13 AM »
Hey Guys,

I pulled my 12 gauge out the other day and noticed that it had rust spots, so I got out my gun-oil and cleaned her up.  While I was doing this I got to wondering: what did ACW soldiers use to oil down their muskets to prevent rusting?  Being exposed to the weather constantly, this must have been a problem. Surely they had something -- some sort of oil.  Any thoughts?

I know this is not about bullets, but hope someone can help me out.

Thanks.

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
Re: Muskets
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 11:52:06 AM »
That is an interesting question and I figured someone here would have been or know a reenactor to ask.  I looked for an answer among that crowd and here is what I found:

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?137147-Cleaning-guns-during-civil-war

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, 02:10:53 PM »
Read the comments and input at the link and found it interesting.  I laughed at some of the 'knowledge' a few displayed.  ;D  Looks like the current practice of water for washing out iron cannon projectiles to inert them is in line with cleaning shoulder arms.
Best,
Carl

callicles

• Email
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2012, 03:26:11 PM »
Interesting article.  Thanks!!

misipirelichtr

• Email
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2012, 10:12:14 PM »
I deer hunt with the traditional Hawken muzzle loader, black powder, and patched ball, and I swab the barrel with hot (HOT) water and it does work really well.  To me, the secret is hot water and a good suction to draw the water through the nipple and up the barrel.  I have no doubt it would work on shells if you could replicate that type cleaning action.  I also us a light coating of high grade gun oil on a final swab, and around the nipple area if I am storing the firearm for even 24 hours.  Have to remember to swab again to remove oil, and dry the nipple area thoroughly before shooting again.  I've done this with one T/C Hawken since 1986 with no problems.