Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Iowa View: The ultimate family sacrifice  (Read 8379 times)

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
Iowa View: The ultimate family sacrifice
« on: July 04, 2012, 11:08:57 AM »
Today is the 4th of July, but I read this story this morning which is more akin to something for Memorial Day.  I did not know of this.  How devastating it must have been to the sisters (both parents had pre-deceased their sons).  You can feel the sadness still back across the 150 years.

We all know of the eloquent Bixby letter Abraham Lincoln wrote to a mother whose 5 sons reportedly died in battle during the Civil War.  It is read near the start of the movie, Saving Private Ryan.  Turns out 2 of her sons died, not five, but that was still too much for her to bear.

And I remember the Fighting Sullivans of WWII fame -- the 5 brothers who died on their ship and about whom a movie was made, a postage stamp issued and a law change about relatives fighting together.

But this story is only now being told and I hope it gets picked up by the wire services because it really brings to light the level of sacrifice, and how soldiers actually died, in the American Civil War.  With such horror going on continuously during the war, you have to think maybe the country became numb to it and thats why we never heard about it until now.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/article/20120704/OPINION01/307040071/Iowa-View-The-ultimate-family-sacrifice?Opinion
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 11:50:50 AM by emike123 »

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
The Bixby Letter reading in Saving Private Ryan
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2012, 11:18:22 AM »
I think this was beautifully done.  Its tough to find on Youtube, presumably for IP reasons, so who knows how long this link will work:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzQUi3jsrDA

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
Re: Iowa View: The ultimate family sacrifice
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2012, 01:56:05 PM »
Many thanks for sharing it.  Very touching and timely given the holiday.  My guess is it got lost because the parents were deceased and thus the binding core of the family was not there for the locals to realize what had happened at the time.

Abraham Lincoln sure had a way with words.  Few were his equal.
Best,
Carl

ETEX

Re: Iowa View: The ultimate family sacrifice
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2012, 03:05:04 PM »
Mike, I must agree with you that was fabulously done and very touching and so fitting for today the 4th of July.

Being retired Navy the Sullivan brothers are a household name for any sailor.

Everyone have a safe and wonderful 4th and God Bless the United States.