Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: categories; too many overlaps ??  (Read 11865 times)

Dave the plumber

• Email
categories; too many overlaps ??
« on: July 02, 2012, 08:10:38 PM »
 carl,     do you think it would work if you combined 'general discussion' and the 'misc.' categories together ??   They basically are the same thing.......     And maybe add 'news' to it also ??
  maybe call it 'news and discussion'  or news and general information or whatever you like........

Dave the plumber

• Email
Re: categories; too many overlaps ??
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 09:31:26 PM »
nobody wants to touch this one, huh ??

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 10:06:40 PM »
Give me a break!  It has only been one day since you posted this.  I do work for a living and last night decided to take in a Braves game at which eMike's Cubs went home victorious leaving me in a sour mood.

While I'm not sure what it would buy to combine them I do see where it is not clear what each one might be for.  'News" is meant to have news stories related to the forum subject and is one of the default topics.  I do think it probably should be moved up to the "Relic Discussion" section.   "Miscellaneous" is under the "Relic Discussion" section and is meant for any topic that doesn't fall into the Bullet or Artillery sections for that occasional topic somone just wants to ask about.  "General Discussion" is another default topic created by the forum software.  I can see where it could be combined with "Miscellaneous" if we wanted less topic areas.

I just look at each one on the forum main page for any category that has been updated since I last got a chance to look.  Since I look nearly every day I just have to scan for "Today" in the date area on the right side.  There is a "Show unread posts since last visit" link at the top that you can use to get a list of all unread posts but it has not worked correctly for me often telling me there is no unread posts yet I can go to a topic and see some.
Best,
Carl

misipirelichtr

• Email
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2012, 12:09:21 AM »
Carl, I've thought about suggesting a "carved lead" category, being the leadhead that I am :) But my vote goes that you and Mike can name and place categories anywhere you want to - I check the new messages in every category anyway

Who'd have thought the Cubs could have put one on the Braves last night?  At least tonight the stars are back in alignment - 5 hit night for All Star Chipper Jones as the Braves win!

« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 12:36:45 AM by misipirelichtr »

speedenforcer

• Raulerson Relics
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2012, 02:31:12 AM »
The forum is just fine the way it is. No need in changing all the hard work that ya'll did (at your own expense and time might i add)
It's not always "Survival of the fitest" sometimes the idiots get through.

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2012, 01:39:34 PM »
Changes to the site are generally not hard to do and don't take long.   I just want to keep a balance between changes which confuse some people and having a site that is easily usable.  I'll spend some time tonight doing some organization and we'll see how that looks.  I do appreciate the feedback as this is a community forum and I very much want it to be to the liking of as many people as we can.  Please do offer up suggestions if you have them.  I'll always do what I can.

misipirelichtr: I texted Mike the same thing last night that all was back to being right with the world.  I was aggrivated because I sprung for some really good seats for me and my two kids the night before and a Braves' win would have made it nice but their inability to hit gets frustrating. 

As an forum unrelated aside, all those interested go to MLB.COM and vote for Atlanta Brave Michael Bourn for the All-Star team.  He is very deserving.
Best,
Carl

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2012, 10:04:22 PM »
Talk is cheap, but the (19 games below .500 at the season midpoint) Cubbies just served up another beatdown on the Bravos tonight winning 5-1

I still have the eMail Carl sent earlier in the season when I said the Cubs wouldn't win 65 games (they are on pace for 62 which is abysmal) and Carl tried to convince me how good they are and that they'd win 75 games.  If When Carl loses, he promises to sing this at the Franklin Show:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4g6kvgSbBM&feature=related
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 10:22:49 PM by emike123 »

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2012, 10:18:19 PM »
The Braves are definitely struggling right now.  Better turn it around soon if they want to see the post season.

I still say the Cubs are better than their record.  They are 31-50 now and I think still have a chance to make it.  We'll see.

Good song but I dont' think you want to hear me sing.  You'd be on the wrong end of the bet if that happened.   ::)
Best,
Carl