Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: 1 less Parrott shell  (Read 7949 times)

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
1 less Parrott shell
« on: July 01, 2012, 06:47:35 PM »
For the archaeologist haters out there...

http://www.wistv.com/Global/story.asp?S=2088519&nav=0RaPPB6B

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
Re: 1 less Parrott shell
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 08:13:37 PM »
Such a shame.  Hard to believe that these supposedly trained people don't know more than they do.  I could maybe understand an EOD person in Idaho not having a knowledge of black powder devices but the EOD people in the southern states should have that as basic training or at least have a resource to ask.  There really is no excuse.
Best,
Carl

Dave the plumber

• Email
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 08:17:01 PM »
       that article was from July 2004.        Think they are any smarter now ??!!

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2012, 10:43:16 PM »
Ha!  But probably not.  I have a filter that sends me articles off Google every week.  I saw July and thought it was current (and so apparently did Google's filter).  There was another one from April of this year at the Medical University of SC  (which used to be the Charleston Arsenal I think in Civil War times) also I didn't post for overkill reasons and because it did not say what ultimately happened to the shell.

http://www.independentmail.com/news/2012/apr/02/civil-war-shell-found-medical-university-sc/

So, these shells are being recovered accidentally continuously and all sorts of hysteria surrounds some of the serendipitous finds.  Seeing as the Air Force wasn't around in Civil War times, Lord only knows what they thought of and did with this other one.  Hopefully, cooler heads prevailed.

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2012, 11:10:22 PM »
I think I heard a story about this shell and I think it actually survived.  I'll see if I can find out any details.
Best,
Carl