Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: shell !!  (Read 5569 times)

Dave the plumber

• Email
shell !!
« on: February 28, 2011, 07:13:53 AM »

Probably only you folks here on the forums would appreciate this, but Saturday I dug a 20 lb Parrott long pattern shell with rifling on the brass sabot and a Schenkl percussion fuze in the nose. Interestingly, the fuze was not screwed all the way in, and also the safety side of the anvil cap was in the inward or down position so it would not explode.
     It gets your mind to wondering ; did the Yank's shoot it as a bolt, or did someone not do their job and arm the shell before it was run down the barrel of the gun.
    It was dug on pretty high ground, considering the area. There was a CS battery nearby, and this was behind it .
    I also dug a '63 naval fuze there ten minutes before finding the shell, and 50 lb's of frags during the day.  We went back yesterday, and couldn't find anything more than frags and a 3 ringer

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
Re: shell !!
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 09:49:11 AM »
It was probably being used as a bolt in counter battery fire.  Also, I know that there were orders at one time in another area near you to not use explosive shells because a friendly force was in the process of landing/advancing in front.

Congratulations on the finds!  Show us some pics when you can.

I went digging (into my wallet) and got 3 watercap fuses yesterday -- a long Selma one (Jones page 20 top left), a raised head watercap (Jones page 21 bottom left), and an 1859 dated USN watercap.  I am going to have to re-sell 1 or 2 of them but they were part of a larger group.

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 01:07:56 PM »
David,

Glad that someone is still pulling the stuff out of the ground.  Congratulations!  Some nice finds.

To answer your question you'll really never know on that particular shell.  They did fire explosive shells as bolts by not arming the fuse.  But you also have to think that in the heat of battle that a few slipped through the the process without the fuse being armed.
Best,
Carl

divedigger

• Email
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 06:46:59 PM »
good for you! Very nice shell!

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2011, 09:31:10 AM »
Morning Dave,
     Can we see several views of your Parrott after cleaning it?
Regards,
John

pagreg

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2011, 07:03:33 PM »
Congrats Dave.  I dug two shells so far and they are the most exciting finds.
Thanks for sharing, Greg.