Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Gettysburg Park Hospitallity  (Read 4012 times)

speedenforcer

• Raulerson Relics
Gettysburg Park Hospitallity
« on: June 29, 2017, 10:43:51 AM »
I want to give a little shout out to a couple of Employees. 1st let me set the stage.

Back in February or around that Time I pulled over a very nice gentleman and his wife for some small infraction that warranted a simple sir please be careful and you are free to go. After advising him that he was free to leave we got into a conversation about Gettysburg since he had a Gettysburg address  :o on his drivers license. Well it so happens that he works for the park service and after advising him we were coming to Gettysburg he gave me is phone number.

Upon arrival I gave Mr. John Ault a call and he met with us. He became Our Battlefield guide for the day, no charge. He also took us to the Welcome center/museum/cyclorama, again no charge. He told me that he spoke with his boss Mr. Platt I believe was the name, he is supervisor of all maintenance, and he told John, Take care of them. Also of interest to you guys he took me to the Cannon repair and maintenance shop where I met a Mr. Wright who runs the shop where they keep records on every cannon in the entire park. That's a lot of cannons. There were several in the shop undergoing various refurbishments, mostly repainting the tubes or maintenance on the carriages. Mr. Wright even gave our son a brass and iron Cannon new in the box. the larger ones that sell for about $40.00 or more in the shops in GBurg. Since He was so generous I tried to get him to give me one of the original Confederate 12# Napoleons that was there but I didn't get anywhere on that. Anyway they were all real nice and accommodating and being able to see a little of behind the scenes activities was very nice. These guys were awesome.

« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 12:44:11 PM by speedenforcer »
It's not always "Survival of the fitest" sometimes the idiots get through.

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
Re: Gettysburg Park Hospitallity
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2017, 01:23:41 AM »
Sounds like a real special opportunity.  Congratulations.  I'm sure your son really enjoyed it.  I know you did!
Best,
Carl

alwion

• Email
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2017, 08:36:51 PM »
thyat would have been so cool

speedenforcer

• Raulerson Relics
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2017, 09:06:22 PM »
Yes it was really awesome.
It's not always "Survival of the fitest" sometimes the idiots get through.