Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: The 3 Inch Hotchkiss Bolt in flight;  (Read 21413 times)

Jine

Re: The 3 Inch Hotchkiss Bolt in flight;
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2012, 05:27:23 PM »
Thank you for the continued input/insight, fellows. I haven't seen the sabot in question since 2010, but I'll see if I can get the owner to chime in or provide me with more images.

Pertaining to pronunciation, here's a clip that was featured on the web site of Carroll LeFon ("Neptunus Lex"), who was killed in March piloting an Israeli F-21 Kfir at NAS Fallon. "Lex" was an American treasure, retired Navy captain and former XO at TOPGUN. He was arguably the best "milblogger" around and an excellent writer. Perhaps some of you "knew" him as I did. Back on topic, I guess the guys at General Atomics prefer the French version:

http://www.neptunuslex.com/2011/04/27/gunner-sabot/

I hope such an inclusion is permissible; I think it's interesting to observe an example of the sabot in its modern form.
"Let every man serve God daily, love one another, preserve your victuals, beware fire, and keep good company." -- Admiral Sir John Hawkins (1532-1595)

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2012, 06:05:39 PM »
In modern terms that was a discarding sabot armor piercing projectile. Projectile sabots are also referred to as rotating bands.
John

Jine

« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2012, 08:25:53 PM »
In modern terms that was a discarding sabot armor piercing projectile. Projectile sabots are also referred to as rotating bands.
John

Make that a French discarding sabot armor piercing projectile, developed by Boeing ;). Mach 5 sounds like the equivalent of moving out.

To answer your earlier question, John, I found the nose section a couple of weeks later, I'm guessing within fifty feet of where the fuse was recovered.
"Let every man serve God daily, love one another, preserve your victuals, beware fire, and keep good company." -- Admiral Sir John Hawkins (1532-1595)

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2012, 11:50:56 PM »
Jine:  Neat video.  Thanks for posting.  It is a 3-piece shell like the Hotchkiss!
Best,
Carl

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2012, 09:30:01 AM »
I agree and it too has a high tendency to lose its sabot in flight!

Jine

« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2012, 05:26:12 AM »
AWOL since last Friday night, I finally have electrons coursing through my home again...

Yes, emike123, I guess we could also call that a shedding of encumbrance. Much of technology bores me to sleep, this doesn't.

Carl, thanks for that great "Wiki" link. Their site can be a great resource; I dodge it only on topics of politics and religion.

Here's another link that may have previously seen exposure on this forum:

http://www.winterwar.com/Weapons/artyinfo.htm#Fragdir

It too is "post war", so to speak, but has some interesting observations. There's some information at the bottom about the parameters of harassment, suppression, and worse, possibly subject to debate.

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2012, 09:00:43 AM »
Thanks for sharing that link.  Very interesting information given in layman's terms. 
Best,
Carl