Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Artillery Hammer?  (Read 22317 times)

Ripcon

Artillery Hammer?
« on: June 23, 2012, 09:51:03 PM »
I believe I have an artilleryman's hammer. I saw a photo of a like object in Howard Crouch's book, "Civil War Artifacts for the Historian." Has anyone found one like it? What type of field piece would have utilized such a hammer or what type of ordinance would have been associated with this tool?

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
Re: Artillery Hammer?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2012, 07:16:23 AM »
Sir:
     Large mortar fuses were driven into their shells with some kind of hammer but can't say that I have ever seen one.
Regards,
John

Dave the plumber

• Email
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2012, 09:16:44 AM »
           Unfortunately, our knowledge base on tools is limited. I have been trying to learn as much as possible from whatever sources are out there. One thing I have learned for sure, most of the tools you see on ebay are garbage.
     Soon, there will be a new book out with alot of original tools photograhed in it, which will certainely help everyone out. In the meantime, I reference the Mordecai drawings. They have dimensions with each item too, which as Pete says about shells; measure -measure- measure.  The Mordecai drawings are in Ripley's fine book Artillery and Ammunitiion of the Civil War in the chapter 'art of the artilleryman' #11.   You have this book -right ??   You absolutely should. It's cheap, thorough, and full of useful info [ although some info is 'dated' since the book was published ].
      Also, Bob Gregory's beautiful new book, Civil War Ordinance, an Introduction,  deals with alot of tools and crates and info galore.
      Anyway, back to the two posts above.             The Mordecai drawings show the artillery hammer as made of copper, not steel. If it was made of copper, it was meant to be used around live shells or powder or fuzes. I personally have never seen one. Wouldn't think they would last that long in the field. But I bet every wagon had an iron hammer around to fix this and that. That is why I see 'artillery hammers' for sale all the time.
     And to answer John's question;           there was a wood fuze mallet.  I figure this was used for driving the wood paper time fuze adaptors. There was also a tool called a ' fuze setter' which by the nature of the shape and a personal guess, I would say would be made out of brass. My thoughts are this was used to drive both the wood adptors and probably the brass tapered seacost watercap drive fuze.  I would also assume that the paper time fuzes were tapped down tightly and set into the adaptor also, be the adaptor made of wood or any of the metals used. I welcome anyone's input or knowledge of the use of these tools, because my comments are my theory

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2012, 03:25:13 PM »
Is that the correct title of Bob's new book?  I can't find it on Amazon.com
John

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2012, 03:43:55 PM »
Bill,
   I looked through my copy of Ripley's book in the section on tools and the only one I could find that looks similar to the one posted is the Cooper's Hammer. (barrell maker)
     I am going to guess that fuse mallets were of wood and not metal to prevent over driving and damaging the fuse head, RBL shell wooden fuses had to be hand set to prevent damage to the setback striker.
Regards,
John

Pete George

• Email
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2012, 12:39:26 PM »
  Please pardon the delay in replying.  I intended to do it earlier, but was distracted by events on the home front, and then forgot to reply in this discussion.

For a couple of decades, I've been searching for civil war period DOCUMENTATION of the existence of an "artillery hammer" ...but insofar as I am currently aware, no such Documentation has yet surfaced.  The only "documentation" is found in latter-20th-century relic books.  It sure seems that if there was such a thing as an "artillery hammer" in the civil war era, one would show up in artillery equipment diagrams from that time period ...such as, the Mordecai diagrams.

Of course, there definitely was such a thing as a "fuze mallet."  But these all-iron hammers are clearly not a fuze-mallet.

So, I've searched for the actual identity of the antique all-iron hammers which have a wedge shaped head, and usually also have a wedge shape at the end of the hammer's short iron handle.  (See the photo attached at the end of this post.)  In searching through antique hammer catalogs, I've found two near-exact matches.  One is a crate-opener hammer, and the other is a scythe hammer (used to sharpen and straighten the scythe's blade).  Of course, a scythe hammer could also be used for straightening a sword's blade.  And a crate hammer would be used for opening wooden shipping crates that everything from ammo to hardtack came in.  So, the Commisary Dept. and Infantrymen would be using crate hammers, not just Artillerymen.

I should mention that I found a match for Ripcon's hammer ...whose wedge-shaped head has a "vertical" orientation instead of horizontal like on the so-called "artillery hammer" in the photo below  Ripcon's hammer is shown in antique hammer catalogs as a Cooper's hammer (wooden barrel maker) ...which matches John Bartleson's ID of it.

In summary I think the most important point is that no wedge-headed all-iron hammer is shown in any civil war era artillery document.  Until such civil war era Documentation is provided, I'm going to continue to tell relic-collectors that these "artillery hammers" are misidentified crate-opener hammers and scythe hammers.

Regards,
Pete

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2012, 09:00:27 PM »
What did the artillerists use?  In my 3,800 mile trek of the past two weeks, I picked up this pair in a group out of a very well known location that saw long term defensive occupation.  The chisel is 8" long and appears to be made of copper.  The "hammer" is actually a little hatchet with a pick on the other side.  It is in fact iron.

The tag is tough to read, but the relevant part says, "Hammer and chisel found in the Rebel Ordnance Store of arsenal?  ___  ___ my store house for Uncle Frank

Having been gone so long, I am backed up with stuff to do so this is the only picture of them I am going to post.

6lbgun

• If at first you don't Secede, try, try again.
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2012, 05:33:09 PM »
John,
     I just spoke with Bob Gregory on the phone about his book.  He is sending me out a copy tomorrow.  The retail is $49.99
but he is selling me one for the introductory price of $40.00 plus $4.00 shipping.  The introductory price will be ending very soon.  His number is 615-773-3577.  He takes calls between 10am and 6pm Eastern Time.  He welcomes orders from the forum members.
Dan

scottfromgeorgia

• Email
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2012, 09:35:53 AM »
The same conclusion as Pete's about artillery hammers is also true, in my view, about fuze gimlets. None of the artillery manuels from the 1840s onward mention a fuze gimlet specifically issued by the military. Instead, they reference carpenter's gimlets, of which each caisson carried several. All of the "fuze gimlets" you see are actually just normal carpenter tools, used occasionally by artillery guys to bore fuzes. By the way, the frequent claim that fuze gimlets were used to clear boreholes is wrong, since they are too short.

This is not true of the wire gimlet, which was used to clear boreholes as well as punch powder bags, and which is much longer. Some of these are arsenal marked, at least on the Union side. 
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 04:28:36 PM by scottfromgeorgia »

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2012, 05:27:18 PM »
So Scott which tool was used to bore the wooden time fuses used in M.L. shells?
Regards,
John

scottfromgeorgia

• Email
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2012, 06:04:29 PM »
What's your view on that?

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2012, 07:23:22 PM »
My question came first.
John

Dave the plumber

• Email
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2012, 09:15:03 PM »
              john,      I am not sure what you are asking. But, if you mean a wooden paper time fuze adaptor, there is a tool used to ream them out with a taper that matches the paper time fuze. Look in Chuck's book, page 157
     I believe the modern theory is that the wood sometimes would swell, and the paper time fuze would be hard to install. So a couple twists on the t handle tool would open up the adaptor to accept the time fuze.
     Also, somewhere on the forums someone mentioned that the wood adaptor was not drilled all the way through. And the reamer would finish the opening so the paper time fuze could be inserted.    But to me, and this is just my opinion, I'm not really buying that, because the tool is made of steel, which could spark. And, in the heat of battle, I can't see someone taking the time to ream out a wood fuze adaptor in the middle of a battle.
  I think shells probably came with tow in the wooden fuze adaptor which would keep powder in, and moisture out.             Anyone know different ??  Dug a shell not drilled through the adaptor all the way ??

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2012, 09:48:02 PM »
No Dave, that is not what I meant.
     When England sold projectiles, cannons and fuzes/fuses to both the north and south they provided any special tools required to support the ordnance.
     I am referring to the wooden time fuse supplied with M.L. projectiles that when fired prevented propellant flames from igniting the fuses.
     These fuses had a set back striker that fired a primer which ignited the time fuse.
      A fuse Borer was used to bore the fuse through the side to select a specific time. See the below fuse:
Regards,
John

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2012, 11:45:23 PM »
M.L. = Major League?
Best,
Carl