Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: "I'm hit.........."  (Read 8753 times)

Jim T

• Thomas Publications
    • Email
"I'm hit.........."
« on: June 18, 2012, 10:16:08 AM »
Some more stuff from my collection just to keep things moving during this slow time.  Michael and Wes must have run out of odd 3-ringers to look at.... ;D

Struck items......  Some are obvious, some not so......  Can you figure out all of these?

ETEX

Re: "I'm hit.........."
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2012, 01:07:19 PM »
Jim, appreciate you picking up and posting to keep the Bullet section alive. I have been out of town for a few days and then we are still at the 24/7 mode at work. I will give a guess on the struck/stuck objects.

Top Left - bone?
Top Right - Plate

Middle Left - ?
Middle Right - Bone

Bottom Right - Button with clothing/material.
Bottom Middle - Button
Bottom Right - Tompion

I don't think I did very well on this test.

R. J. in LA

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2012, 09:17:03 AM »
Cool examples Jim, now solve the mystery for us.  Mike gave a good stab at it & attempted to identify more than I could.  The only ones I knew definitevely were the plate, bone & tompion.  I knew the one had cloth imprint on it but don't know if that was from clothing or a sack or what.  Thanks for posting.

R. J.

Jim T

• Thomas Publications
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2012, 09:42:30 PM »
RJ, I was giving folks some time to guess.  I take some more scans tomorrow to identify the objects.

R. J. in LA

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2012, 09:51:28 AM »
Thanks Jim.

R. J.

speedenforcer

• Raulerson Relics
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2012, 11:04:35 AM »
top left = 2 collided bullets
top right = plate
middle left = ?
middle right = bullet in bone
bottom left = bullet with cloth impressions, and i love it might i add
bottom center = button
bottom right = tompion
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 11:06:00 AM by speedenforcer »
It's not always "Survival of the fitest" sometimes the idiots get through.

Jim T

• Thomas Publications
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2012, 11:37:34 AM »
Speed,
Good guesses just under the wire!

I see I stumpted everyone with the middle, left specimen.  As with all items, these are easier to indentify while holding them in your hand as opposed to looking at a "flat" photo....and they're much cooler in person too!  ;D  And for Wes's sake, all the bullets are 3-ringers!

Okay, here we go...

Top row:  Two 3-ringers that struck perpendicularly...this pic shows other side with an unfortunate digger's scratch; US buckle struck by bullet, found near South Mountain, MD, the 2nd Wisconsin of the Iron Brigade was the only regiment to fight were this was found.

Bottom row:  (Saving the mysterious item in the middle for last!  :P)  3-ringer that struck cloth...I bet that left a mark, from the Wilderness...I also found an Enfield with cloth pattern in the Wilderness but this shows the pattern best;  3-ringer with remains of a button back wrapped around it...super cool; 3-ringer shot into musket tompion. 

Middle row:   on the right is a 3-ringer in about a 5-inch piece of bone I found here at Gettysburg; AND last but not least, in the middle row, on the left..........

drum roll............

3-ringer that struck the exposed screw head opposite the lock plate on an Enfield rifle.

The attached pic shows the other sides....L to R: cloth; mid-air hit; button back; screw head.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 11:39:08 AM by Jim T »

dlw1610

• Email
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2012, 07:44:22 PM »
Very interesting, friend Ken Brame found a bullet in bone at Gettysburg & had it analyzed forensically & it was a femur.

R. J. in LA

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2012, 12:01:17 PM »
Thanks Jim, good stuff!

R. J.

ETEX

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2012, 12:53:52 PM »
Great stuff Jim.