Relic Discussion > Miscellaneous

Perhaps my greatest relic hunting mystery

(1/2) > >>

misipirelichtr:
Everyone who has ever relic hunted has a story or two about relics they have found or not found that presents a mystery as to what happened or where part of the relic not found ended up.  And everyone who has ever relic hunted to any degree has a favorite camp or other location they have hunted over the years.  This recovery was in one of my favorite spots that I believe I was the first person to hunt, and my buddy and I spent many good days searching that camp.  Sadly today, it has been lost to "progress".  But that's a story for another day.

On one hunt, I recovered the upper right corner to a lead filled Louisiana belt plate.  I knew exactly what it was when I recovered it, and it seemed to me that it was deliberately broken by someone.  I hunted the immediate vicinity for the rest of the day, and came back to the spot on several of my next few trips there.  But....nothing else turned up.  Almost one year to the day, I found the piece that matched up to the bottom of the first piece about 100 yards from where I found the first piece.  Again, I hunted that area HARD and often, and all places in between where the two pieces were recovered.  And those are the only two pieces of that Louisiana plate either me or my buddy ever found.

Who deliberately broke up a Louisiana belt plate?  Where's the rest of it?  I know the site was farmed in the years after the war, until it was allowed to grow up into woods around the turn of the century.  Yet, that does not explain why the two pieces I found were so far apart.  This remains one of my greatest relic hunting recovery mysteries.

rommack:
Jimmy  Never give up looking for the rest of that buckle.  When I was 16 years old I found a belt keeper but never the buckle in a camp site at Port Hudson.  37 years later after all those years of hunting for the matching plate, My daughter Leila asked to go on a hunt with her Dad.  I took her to an area I thought we would be able to dig a few bullets (the keeper site).  After digging a few bullets I kicked an old piece of metal out of the way and got a good signal.  It was a beautiful officer's sword belt plate.  In the back of my mind I vaguely remembered digging a keeper many years ago in this same area.  I dug through my buckle parts and pieces box and found it.  As you can see from the pictures it is the matching keeper for the plate I found with my daughter.
Some things have a destiny all their own.  Ronnie

rommack:
Ok here is the front picture.  I guess I forgot it the first time.  Ronnie

R. J. in LA:
Great story Ronnie & great looking belt plate, congrats!!

R. J.

ETEX:
Great story and plate. The Lord works in mysterious ways.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version