Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Stan Hughes  (Read 8736 times)

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
Stan Hughes
« on: May 08, 2012, 07:58:47 PM »
Rafael Eledge informed me Saturday at Mansfield that Stan Hughes had gone into hospice care the day before.  Stan has been fighting cancer for quite some time and I must say I got very emotional when I saw him at Franklin last December because he was not well and I was pretty sure that would be the last time we were together.  Rafael was choked up too when we spoke this past weekend and I know others feel great sorrow as well.

Stan is one of my favorite guys and whenever he does leave us, our mortal world will be much the lesser for it.  I know a lot of us love Stan and so I decided to share this sad news.

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
Re: Stan Hughes
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 01:01:21 AM »
My thoughts also go out to Stan and his family.  I had talked to him at Dalton and he looked to be holding his own so I was surprised to hear the sad news from Mike.   I didn't know Stan nearly as well as many but found him to be a very kind fellow and I enjoyed our converstations.  He always had time to spend with you.  It really puts things in perspective.
Best,
Carl

R. J. in LA

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 12:53:06 PM »
Such sad news, I didn't know Stan well but the times I did run into him & visit it was alway a pleasure talking with him.  He is such a good guy with a wealth of knowledge.  May the Good Lord give comfort to he & his family at this time.

R. J. 

ETEX

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 01:27:20 PM »
Stan is one of the very best men I have ever met. That sums it up to me. My prayers are with Stan and his family.

Dr. Beach

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2012, 07:31:33 PM »
Another loss.

I found this citation in my collection log:

.577/.58 caliber, Confederate sharpshooter bullet, for muzzleloading rifle,
.571 diameter x 1.10 in length, M&M 452 var., plug cavity, dug by Stan
Hughes
“about a mile west of Corinth [Mississippi] in an area where
Texas troops were camped.”

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2012, 09:22:39 PM »
Thats a good bullet and one of the ones he and Steve wrote an article about.  Here's a link to some cleaned ones on his site.  Yours may be one of them.  ETEX's and mine are.

http://www.corinthcivilwarrelics.com/relics1-25-09.html