Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: A recent sighting !  (Read 8570 times)

misipirelichtr

• Email
A recent sighting !
« on: April 16, 2012, 03:43:56 PM »
If you were lucky enough to be in the right place this weekend, you would have spotted two legends of artillery and projectile collecting.  In case you missed them, here's a couple of shots capturing the event!  And as for the second photo, three guesses what Carl is thinking and the first two don't count!

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
Re: A recent sighting !
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 07:11:36 PM »
I knew Carl was an artillery legend but I didn't know Brad Pitt standing next to him was a Civil War artillery collector.  A super time was had and thanks for the kind words Jimmy.

misipirelichtr

• Email
this was supposed to be the first photo on my original post
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 10:03:24 PM by CWArtillery »

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 10:02:31 PM »
Jimmy,

Thanks for the great picture.  Beautiful weather and great company.  Not to mention that between the museums and private collections we saw a bunch of bullets and shells!  :)

For those who may not recognized the location of the image in the first post, Jimmy is taking that looking out towards the Yankee lines from the Railroad Redoubt which guarded the RR cut into the city and is about 50 yards to Brad Pitt's right.  There were Union batteries behind the far ridge and this place was heavily shelled.   Of interest bulldozers were knocking the trees down while we were standing there to open the views up as they were during the siege.  The piles you see in the background are the stumps that we presume were soon to be hauled off.  Around the area were park signs saying to not enter 'for your own safety'.  We weren't sure if that meant they'd shoot first and then yell 'Halt!' if we crossed the dreaded dirt line.
Best,
Carl

speedenforcer

• Raulerson Relics
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 10:33:02 AM »
they probably didnt want anyone to "eyeball" anything in case something got turned up.
It's not always "Survival of the fitest" sometimes the idiots get through.

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2012, 08:21:29 PM »
We heard tale of one of the slopes being literally white with Minie balls after the dozers went through, but park personnel were on those bullets like white on rice.  No question in my mind those signs are not intended for our safety, but rather to prevent folks from going out there and eyeballing stuff.  We toe'd (and didn't cross) the line, but I did gaze fondly in the direction of those dirt patches a few times.

ETEX

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2012, 08:42:02 PM »
Where was Wes when you needed access. Could have been one heck of a bullet/shell round-up.