Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Charleston, SC visit  (Read 9641 times)

speedenforcer

• Raulerson Relics
Charleston, SC visit
« on: February 17, 2012, 09:07:51 PM »
My wife and myself are in Charleston, SC. this weekend for our 1 year anniversary. Are there any forum members in the Charleston area? we went to U.S.S. Yorktown today and was going to catch the tour there and go to Fort Sumter. We were to late though. We went to St. Michaels church. It was nice. Going to try to go see the Hunley tommorrow (saturday).
It's not always "Survival of the fitest" sometimes the idiots get through.

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
Re: Charleston, SC visit
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012, 07:49:03 PM »
Just saw this Jay.  There is the Confederate Museum and the regular museum a few blocks has an artillery display temporarily.  I would also go see Fort Moultrie.

I am not aware of any active forum members in the area.  We need to recruit some because there are some great collectors and diggers down there.

speedenforcer

• Raulerson Relics
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 12:21:22 AM »
We went to the conservatory and saw the Hunley in person, I was aw struck. We then went to Magnolia Cemetary and saw the graves of all 3 crews that was lost on the Hunley. They do not allow pictures to be taken of the sub, they said it was because National Geographic has exclusive rights to all photos. Did go see the one museum that is operated by the United Daughters of The Confederacy (UDC) it was amazing they had a lot of good flags and uniforms. Shells also. They had a display of some very nice canteens withe one Confederate wood drum with the name on it, really nice but it was right by the window with direct sunlight shining directly on the inscription, I politely suggeted that the window be covered or the display be moved and explaind the negative results of the uv rays, she didnt say anything, I politely asked if she heard me and her response was " Yes I heard you but i purposely ignored you cause we know what we are doing" I will never return to this very nice collection due to her rudness, Ever. With the exception of her everyone else we have spoke to here have been polite. We did not go to the larger museum. Will come back in a couple of years.

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2012, 01:58:03 PM »
Well, I guess there is 'one in every crowd' as the saying goes you you found that one.  :)  That is too bad the they don't have a conservator come in and at least give advice on how to ensure it last for future generations.

Regarding the Charleston Museum, I highly recommend it.  It's an incredible museum; one of the oldest (I think THE oldest) in the country and they have some wonderful displays/relics.  There is something for everyone.  Of note regarding our interest here, they have two of only a handful of US cannon's marked "US" from the Revolutionary War.  Their displays are varied and well done. Right now they are doing an artillery dispaly as was noted in another thread.  See http://www.charlestonmuseum.org/sesquicentennial and scroll down to "Blasted" for more info.

Next door to the museum itself and part of the Charleston Museum is the Manigault House (http://www.charlestonmuseum.org/joseph-manigault-house)  which was the home of Joseph Manigault, the CS officer in charge of the CS ordnance for the Siege of Charleston.  If you want to read a really good biography dealing with Civil War artillery I highly recommend "Siege Train: The Journal of a Confederate Artilleryman in the Defense of Charleston". 
Best,
Carl

Lowcountry83

• Email
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2012, 10:25:42 PM »
Hi I've been a lurker on the forum for quite a while now and decided its finally time to start contributing. Having just left Charleston this weekend I can second the motion that the Hunley is incredible. Best 12 bucks I've spent in a long time. If anyone has the chance to go don't pass it up. For those who don't they have a few videos posted on youtube showing the exhibit. Just search Hunley.

Stephen

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2012, 10:00:15 AM »
Welcome Stephen and glad to have you join our discussions.  As  many times as I've been down to Charelston I've somehow never made the time to go see the Hunley but I will next time.  I'll make it part of the plan.
Best,
Carl

speedenforcer

• Raulerson Relics
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2012, 12:59:59 PM »
yeh the Hunley was great. no pictures allowed,  but my wife, well better not say.

Lowcountry83

• Email
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2012, 08:42:58 PM »
Thank you guys. I did get to check out the "Blasted" exhibit at the Charleston Museum, but I must say I wasn't impressed. They had more shells in their normal Civil War display than in this special exhibit. Some of the shells and cartridges were even mislabeled. But they did have a couple rare torpedoes which you don't get to see every day. But like Carl said still a nice museum with a lot of things for everyone.

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2012, 08:45:28 PM »
Thats good advice.  I am due to go to SC soon to see my folks and was going to swiong by there before the exhibit ended.  Now I won't.

I have seen the Hunley way back fairly early on and it is a great stop.  Need to go back now that it has progressed some.