Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Blakely??  (Read 21953 times)

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
Re: Blakely??
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2012, 08:42:05 AM »
No Sir,
   The cannon was first patented by Blakely and I am beginning to believe that the shell above was invented but not patented by Cdr. Robert A. Scot, RN for Blakely's cannon. However, I must add that this is mere speculation about Scott as I have no documented proof.
   The initial Blakely guns sent to America were furnished with Bashley Britten's lead skirted shells.
John
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 09:13:43 AM by John D. Bartleson Jr. »

pipedreamer65

• Email
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2012, 09:19:21 AM »
Well, according to that website it is obvious that some credit may be due to Scott for the large caliber flange projectiles commonly called Blakely.

I'm not so sure about the preston blakely projectile. 

pipedreamer65

• Email
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2012, 09:21:10 AM »
Thank you for clarifying the matter!

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2012, 09:58:35 AM »
     with regard to your second post above, Neither Are We. :) The only thing we do know is that a Blakely patent for it has yet to be found. Thanks for your interest. The Forum is beginning to be confusing is because we mixing topics, and I am guilty as the next by putting up the three patent drawings above from a previous discussion about another Blakely patent being quoted as a reference.
John

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2012, 11:58:20 AM »
To All;
     Will someone please post a high resolution base view of the projectile in question so we may see the position and angle of each spline, groove or flange as it may be called? Close up please.
Regards,
John

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2012, 12:45:18 PM »
John:

It is difficult to follow this thread and I admit to having stopped watching it closely long ago, but if you are interested in a picture of a flanged "Preston," there is one on the commercial part of the site:

http://www.bulletandshell.com/Items/artillery/item.php?id=00125

Or perhaps you all are discussing the flanged Blakely shell such as this one on Rick Burton's site:

http://www.ccrelics.com/artillery/89-britishcs-45-inch-triple-flanged-blakely-shell

pipedreamer65

• Email
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2012, 01:36:07 PM »
Not what you wanted, but best I can do at the moment.....  my little 4" Preston Blakely from Ft. Caswell.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 07:43:52 AM by pipedreamer65 »

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2012, 02:57:09 PM »
Mike,
  The above shell you posted is the shell in question. However, we need a base view that will show position and shape of grooves.  I don't believe your specimen will show them clearly due to its condition.
I am aware that our posts are beginning to stray from the very first post which poses the question as to the correct identity of this projectile. I admit I am guilty of causing some of the confusion and will attempt to stay on track in the future.
John
P.S. The three flanged projectile you referred me to in the above URLs will soon be another topic.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 02:58:53 PM by John D. Bartleson Jr. »

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2012, 03:25:13 PM »
Unfortunately, the two I have in my collection are packed away.  I do have this top half of one sitting on my desk.  Not sure the pictures provide everything you want but here they are until a better view comes along

alwion

• Email
« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2012, 04:08:13 PM »
Now that shell definitley looks like the info John posted a Blakely design patent. The firing orque is distributed on the shell body, not the sabot . Is there any question this is an English produced imported shell, not a US or CSA produced copy?

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2012, 05:29:44 PM »
Mike,
Great frags, thank you.
John

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2012, 06:45:18 PM »
To All Interested;
     Below is a comparison of the rifling patent drawing in #1286, how it would look with six projections, Mikes shell fragment and my rendering of Mike's image. They appear to match , as well as my eye can attempt a match.
    Notice the similarity with Cdr. Robert Scott's other invention (not patent) for the Blakely guns.
If you stop and think about Scott's rifling design, it is the only British rifling system that has projections proud of the shell body, save the Woolwich System of copper studs.  Please note that I am not sayhing that Cdr. Scott invented this design(as I have no proof) but it is starting to 'quack like a duck'.
Best Regards,
John aka Bart
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 09:55:32 PM by John D. Bartleson Jr. »

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2012, 07:53:11 PM »
Follow Up to last Post;
      Below is a  view, from the above site of Mr. Burton, which illustrates the base view of Cdr. Scott's invention for the large Blakely cannon found at Fort Fisher.  It too has been identifed in error and passed down through the ages by Gen. Abbot's association with the Blakely guns.
       Observe the small projections above and how they resemble the large flanges below.
John