Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: schenkl shells  (Read 12057 times)

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
Re: schenkl shells
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2012, 06:44:29 PM »
Allen ,
please don't put small arms on the artilery site, :) we have enough to deal with?
Okay, now to try and give some rerrerences to put the rifled ammunition to bed.  My references is Gibbons Artillerist Manual.
I spent all afteter noon tryhing to find an answer for you in the 600 odd pages of the manual the only reference to fixed rifle ammunition is for sperical shot, shell and case shot, no mention whatsoevver for elongated projectiles/
  Now, we have gone from tyhing or glueing the bag to the left over knob to placing it over the sabot.   If the latter be ture then they could have tied powder bags over the base and sabots of every projectle in the inventory, save the Whitworth which used a metal searate container for powder, and make ever shell fixed ammunition. Ridiculus??

Quote from Gibbons:

Page 109
“A rifle is a gun having in its bore a number of grooves, helical in form, which, as the
projectile passes out of the bore, give it the rifled or rotating motion. In rifles loaded at the muzzle, the projectile must be made to "take" the grooves, by being forced into them. It will then turn in the piece as often as the entire curve is repeated in the length of the bore, and continue the same motion after leaving the muzzle. The rate at which it revolves will depend, for any given velocity, upon the inclination which the grooves have to the axis of the piece.”
  Your proposal of tying the bag over the sabots would cut the bag to pieces by the sharp edges of the lands.

Gibbons  quote concerning mateial of batgs.  Canfvas was not used!

Page 301
Cartridge -bags.-- should be composed entirely of wool, free from any mixture of thread or cotton, which would be apt to retain fire in the piece. The texture and sewing should be close enough to prevent the powder sifting through. Untwilled stuff is to be preferred. Flannel may be used when the other materials cannot be obtained.
The bag is formed of two pieces, a rectangle, which forms the cylinder, and a circular piece, which forms the bottom. As the stuff does not stretch in the direction of its length, the long side of the rectangle should be taken in that direction, otherwise, the cartridge might become too large for convenient use with its piece.
The material is laid, sometimes several folds thick, on a table, and the rectangles and circles marked out on it with chalk, using for the purpose, patterns made of hard, well -seasoned wood, sheet-iron, or tin. For the dimensions of these patterns, see table, p. 446, of the Appendix.
Now, I hafve provideded a technical reference and posted images to illustrated, not just unsuppored, lengthy phrases with some sort of evidence.  True, I have injected my thoughts and opions (everone has one) which I thought was sound logic but guess not.

Anyway this is really all I have time for to spend on this one also as I have run out of words and thoughts.
All the Best,
John
John

alwion

• Email
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2012, 07:14:06 PM »
Sorry, just posted as photo proof of attaching powder charge using glue, which could possibly have been tried on a shell. I forget sometimes that having dealt with this so long you had probably seen examples  already

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2012, 07:23:47 PM »
No comments on my remaining post???
John

alwion

• Email
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2012, 10:40:32 PM »
I have a total of 32 common shells as of this week. I only know from reading what they even are. What I was trying to provide was some insight of what could be possible, only from a fresh (could it possibly done this way) view. Wanna make sure its not a case of not seeing the trees for the forest:) Just in case someone had overlooked a possibility as i have very little historical knowledge to work from, I just look at question and propose how  I would start experimenting if I wanted to accomplish the idea.I have no facts or evidence of what could work or what couldn't, only can view it as, if it was done?, what could possibly be tried? Then I let you fellas with years of on hands experience and research reject or say maybe on an idea. So I have been trying to forward any info which might help prove of disapprove these ideas, even if the idea came from another field like glue charges on bullets or some metalwork I used to do. All inventions somewhere someone said"what if we try this" and 90% of it wasn't practical.  As we go along, I try and absorb the ideas, to find another possibility to try if the 1st idea wouldn't work. I'm not qualified to accept or reject any of them myself, I'm just too inexperienced in firing and construction. I don't know clearances,possible materials( for some reason I thought powder bags to be linin, don't know why), but I do know construction in wood and metal.  Thought maybe a fresh idea of how might click with something we have seen and now made sense
John, I find the above very interesting, am going to look for a copy to read.
I'm really not on either side of this, I have no idea if it ever happened beside what was posted here. A week ago I had never even considered the idea. It's fun to try and figure out if it would even be possible though:) even if not practical.

wow that was very long for I don't have any idea, sound good to me:) I'll try and stop being the Devils advocate in the discussions if we only want facts and not hypothesis. I'm really a student of bayonets, striving to expand my knowledge, Thank s Guys, but I'll let others continue this who know more

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2012, 07:49:59 AM »
Allen,
You keep asking your questions and perhaps one day the truth will be revealed. Send me your email and I will send you a PDF of Gibbons manual (6 megs)
Regards,
John
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 08:24:17 AM by John D. Bartleson Jr. »