Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Trans-Mississippi Bullets  (Read 975 times)

ColtsPop

• Email
Trans-Mississippi Bullets
« on: June 28, 2023, 09:00:53 AM »
I am interested in Trans-Mississippi bullets.  It seems many of the Confederate versions are not noted in Thomas and Thomas RR4.  I?m curious why they were left out?

For instance, there are no two ring Musketoons, Port Hudson, Jenkins Ferry or Arkansas.  Also no mention of Sterling Price, Cosmopolitan or Baby Hog. 

Does anyone know why?  Who has compiled a complete list?
« Last Edit: June 28, 2023, 03:17:25 PM by ColtsPop »

aggiereb

• Email
Re: Trans-Mississippi Bullets
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2023, 06:24:17 PM »
The best overview of the Musketoon bullets in in Tom Stelma's Some Civil War Bullets 2.

The Sterling Price bullet has been determined to probably be a Tennessee Rifle bullet.  See RBTR 4, bullet 230.  I think that's it.

The Baby Hawg, Mangeot, Cosmopolitan II, and other scarce/rare Trans-MS bullets are not generally addressed.  For the longest time many Eastern collectors didn't recognize the Trans-MS artifacts.  Only recently has that begun to change. 

There are a few magazine articles that address the Trans-MS bullets, written by Meigs Brainerd in North - South Trader.  He's a member of this Forum and can hopefully set you straight.  He's identified even more strange Trans-MS bullets than those you're aware of!!

« Last Edit: June 28, 2023, 06:27:42 PM by aggiereb »