Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Display  (Read 4354 times)

Dave

• Email
Display
« on: May 25, 2023, 09:37:27 AM »
Out of curiosity, how do y?all display your WBTS bullets?  I like to keep all the pertinent info with the bullet but I?ve never found a satisfactory container. The vast majority of what I have are ?bagged? individually and stored. But there are a few special that I?d like to display. Thanks for any thoughts or suggestions in advance.
God Bless, Roll Tide & Deo Vindice

Tex27

Re: Display
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2023, 10:20:29 AM »
I use an old printer's box that I found years ago. Cleaned that up, sanded, stained etc
Hang that on the wall with a picture light attached
Makes a great display

Dave

• Email
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2023, 10:44:12 AM »
That's a really nice idea.  And it holds quite a few.  Looks like you use a numbering system and I assume you have corresponding notes.  Lots of great bullets there from what I can tell.  Plans for when you finally fill it up?

Dave

• Email
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2023, 08:09:13 AM »
Anyone use any display containers of any sort?

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2023, 07:58:41 PM »
Sorry to be so slow in replying to this but here are some, not all, of my bullet display cases.  Hopefully enough to get the gist of how mine are done.

1 picture is of Mac Mason's bullet display which I own.  These are in custom built cabinets he made and the bullets are mounted into foam core backing but out to accommodate them and held in place with small pins.

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2023, 07:59:59 PM »
This case I made to display basemarked bullets.  A plywood insert with holes drilled in it so you can see the basemarks if you're here in person, not so much in this crummy photo.

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2023, 08:06:21 PM »
This picture shows my old and newer displays.  Originally I had my bullets in display cases with foam rubber that pressed them against the glass and held them in place gently.  This works for the larger bullets but as an early Covid project, I re-did a display of mostly smaller (and also harder to hold in place items that are bigger like the Agar cartridge) by putting them in styrofoam carved out with pins to hold them in place.  I should've used foamcore like Mac did as it hold them better, but this case is displayed flat so the stuff doesn't slide around.

I have indexes taped to the backs of the cases with what each bullet is by row and some other info such as where its from, where I got it and sometimes what I paid.  I should include a photo of the layout as is that corresponds to the write up in case someone drops the case.  I have had two bullet collectors send me their collections to sel and when I got them the bullets were all in a jumble so re-tying the bullets to their legend was an hours long effort.

redbob

• Email
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2023, 09:00:34 AM »
Very classy indeed, how do you display your balls and shells? Are they labeled and are they in any particular order?

Dave

• Email
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2023, 04:41:11 PM »
Mike, thanks for the response. Love your displays!  In awe of your collection- especially your base mark collection!  Love how you have them displayed. Some good ideas there!

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2023, 02:02:14 PM »
Thank you, Dave & Bob.  RedBob, I eMailed you some photos in response to your question.

My shells and fuses are grouped by type.  A few are labled, more have numbers that tie to a database, but cataloguing is super boring and I haven't kept up with it as I should have.  One of those things I'll always get around to someday...

Wilmington Mike

• Email
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2023, 08:46:19 AM »
Mike,  you have an incredible collection.  The base display makes me want to look harder at my P's and 57's.  Thanks for sharing.