Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Most Difficult to Aquire Confederate Bullet Examples  (Read 1990 times)

ColtsPop

• Email
Most Difficult to Aquire Confederate Bullet Examples
« on: May 01, 2023, 10:10:50 AM »
All,
I have just started a collection of Confederate bullets and it?s been fascinating.  I already have a Whitworth, Lemat and some of the Tennessee rifle types.

I hoped users here would share their experiences with which 3-5 bullet types in Thomas RR4 were the most difficult to locate?  Not cartridges, just bullets.

Also, any leads on a Selma Arsenal Tower and Arkansas Hog would be appreciated.

Thanks

aggiereb

• Email
Re: Most Difficult to Aquire Confederate Bullet Examples
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2023, 12:35:17 PM »
One of my favorite sites is the Army of Tennessee relic site by Nick Peirut.  He always has odd, strange, scarce, and rare bullets - and his pictures are exceptional.

Another favorite site is Tennessee Lead by Ken Price.  Again with excellent pictures.  Most of his offerings are the more common bullets, but he surprises me frequently!!

I've acquired a lot of bullets from both places over the years.  I maintain a "type" collection, meaning I collect only a single bullet of each pattern - CSA and USA - in the best condition I can afford.  I'm frequently upgrading.  As of today there are 828 bullets in the collection.

As for which ones are the most difficult to obtain is up to you.  If you have deep pockets you can find them all.  But that's a personal decision!!!  I would suggest that you determine which ones you want and seek them all at once.  You never know where/when you'll find the elusive pot of gold.

And just when you think you've found them all, another previously unknown variant will show up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wes

« Last Edit: May 01, 2023, 12:37:35 PM by aggiereb »

misipirelichtr

• Email
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2023, 01:07:52 PM »
for what it's worth, the .54 Fagan and the two piece Confederate explosive would be my vote for most difficult to obtain

LeonVa

• Email
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2023, 05:55:18 PM »
I may have a Fagan that I could possibly be talked out of. :)

Dave

• Email
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2023, 07:17:40 AM »
I may have a Fagan that I could possibly be talked out of. :)
Purely out of curiosity, what would it take to talk you out of it?
God Bless, Roll Tide & Deo Vindice

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2023, 07:20:31 PM »
If you want a Hawg and a lot of other tough bullets to get in an expensive, albeit fairly priced, group, pm me.  I have a friend with a strong Trans Mississippi (Confederate) bullet collection that he amassed over the years (no doubles, just a good variety of nice ones).  He wants to sell it as a group not be cherrypicked.  As LeonVa knows in this specific case everyone wants the same bullet or two but either doesn't need the rest or have the means to buy the entire group.  This fellow is a retired collector and paid top dollar for his stuff and is under no pressure to sell it at a loss which also means a dealer can't make money off the items.  That's basically how I get most of my stuff for my collection and then resell the rest, but in this case I have all the bullet types he has and so there is nothing in it for me.

Dave

• Email
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2023, 08:15:03 AM »
If you want a Hawg and a lot of other tough bullets to get in an expensive, albeit fairly priced, group, pm me.  I have a friend with a strong Trans Mississippi (Confederate) bullet collection that he amassed over the years (no doubles, just a good variety of nice ones).  He wants to sell it as a group not be cherrypicked.  As LeonVa knows in this specific case everyone wants the same bullet or two but either doesn't need the rest or have the means to buy the entire group.  This fellow is a retired collector and paid top dollar for his stuff and is under no pressure to sell it at a loss which also means a dealer can't make money off the items.  That's basically how I get most of my stuff for my collection and then resell the rest, but in this case I have all the bullet types he has and so there is nothing in it for me.

Years ago I used to buy, sell & relic hunt when I lived in MS to sell. My problem then & still now I always bought more than I sold or kept more than I should have. Guess that?s why I never could make any money or even reasonably fund my hobby. But I still have the original 3 minies I bought at the Old Court House Museum in Vicksburg (I think they were .25 apiece) when I was in the third grade. 
God Bless, Roll Tide & Deo Vindice