Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Opinion on this chain shot being sold on Facebook marketplace  (Read 1518 times)

Jim Martin

• Email
Opinion on this chain shot being sold on Facebook marketplace
« on: January 23, 2023, 11:55:22 AM »
Curious of what some of you guys think I've never seen a real chain shot that looks like this but I don't know a lot of stuff

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
Re: Opinion on this chain shot being sold on Facebook marketplace
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2023, 06:25:10 PM »
I have a real one that is published in an early book and its 2 halves with 3 pegs holding them together that came apart on firing.  Not liking this one a lot but Carl knows way more about this period then me.

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
Re: Opinion on this chain shot being sold on Facebook marketplace
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2023, 03:11:50 PM »
I have a decent collection of US pre-Civil War artillery but sadly have not acquired any chain shot to this point.  So I haven't held any besides Mike's to get a feel for them.  I know a bit telling point on them is the chain construction.  Chain for quite a number of decades has been welded links while early chain is made of hammered links.  So if you can see the seam where the link is welded that would be a bad sign.  Also the balls should be made of cast iron (not steel) and chain I would guess from wrought iron (no steel).  Cast iron links would not hold up when fired.  Better pics would help.
Best,
Carl