Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Shipping Shells  (Read 1602 times)

Roy A

• Email
Shipping Shells
« on: January 11, 2023, 10:10:27 PM »
Have a few larger/heavier shells which I might need to ship. Any suggestions on boxes/packing and shipping companies?

misipirelichtr

• Email
Re: Shipping Shells
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2023, 07:37:52 PM »
Lot of people on this forum more experienced than me, but Lawrence Christopher swore by putting the shell in a 5 gallon paint/Home Depot bucket and duct taping the $&($??$ out of the top.  I know he sent me a 32 pound solid that way.  Marked the contents as ?metal parts?.  Carl, Mine and others can give you better ideas; just been thinking about Mr. Lawrence lately.  A really fine man.

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2023, 07:22:10 PM »
If you got the 5gal bucket route, cut a 10" plywood disc out to fit in the pail bottom and reinforce it.  Then, assuming its a plastic one not a metal one with tabs, glue the top shut and duct tape around the joint.  UPS charges extra for shipping this way or any way that's not covered in cardboard, such as a wooden crate.  If you do make a wooden crate, cover the outside with cardboard so as to avoid this surcharge.

It is critical to wrap the projectile tightly in newspaper or towelling and not let it budge at all in the container.  Any wiggling room and the heavy iron projectile will act as a battering ram inside your container and force its way out.  Styrofoam peanuts are a major nemesis as they just smoosh down and create the dreaded wiggle room.  Use lots of good shipping tape.

I have lost shipments with all the major shippers despite having photos and exact weights and dimensions of the projectiles.  I probably use UPS Ground the most and so have lost the most things with them.  Keep your total package weight under 150lbs or it becomes freight and the cost goes through the roof.

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2023, 11:26:36 PM »
To reiterate what Mike said:  Don't allow there to be any room in the packaging to allow movement.  And don't pack with materials that the heavy item will just compress half way through the trip.  And as Mike and Jimmy said: Lots of tape!  Then more tape.

Also with UPS always look for a discount code if you make your own label.  They expire after a time but with Google you can find new one.  Currently "SAVENOW" can save a significant amount of money.
Best,
Carl