Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Field trash or Grape Plate  (Read 1942 times)

Major Mike

• Email
Field trash or Grape Plate
« on: September 02, 2022, 03:18:44 PM »
Does anyone have photos of the plates used to contain a stand of Grape? (NOT cannister, GRAPE.) I have never seen or recovered such a plate, which make identifying this dug item a tad problematic.
Interestingly, it measures 4.5" so is consistent with a 12lb load.  It was found behind well bombarded Confederate artillery positions (Schenkl and Hotchkiss shell fragments had also been found in this area in times gone by.)  The square head bolt was found nearby the plate but not directly with it.  This area was outside the range of cannister, but within probable grape range of Union positions.
Based on terrain and distances,  the selection of a grape round for indirect "recon by fire" (to coin a modern term) would be feasible.  Still, it could just be farm junk.  I welcome more informed opinions.
Mike

Major Mike

• Email
Re: Field trash or Grape Plate
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2022, 03:19:57 PM »
Side view

Dave the plumber

• Email
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2022, 07:17:03 AM »
Mike,   Personally, I haven't seen a grape plate with the protrusions on the bolt hole like you show.   Plus, stand of grape plates are usually thicker and yours looks like it was made of a more inferior metal to rust like it has.   But, with that said, I have been publically wrong on these forums before ...!!   Maybe someone else has a better idea and knowledge than me

alwion

• Email
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2022, 10:43:56 AM »
the way it thins and flares at the edge reminds me more of a machinery pully, maybe off a tractor or combine

gflower

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2022, 05:38:11 PM »
Ok I?ll say it, Field Trash. That is my humble opinion after 50 years of military relic hunting.

Major Mike

• Email
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2022, 08:50:59 PM »
It definitely has a pulley appearance, no question.  The only thing is has going for it is that it is 4.5" has a similar appearance to a plate I saw on line (much heavy construction as stated by Dave) and was found in a known Union impact area.  I am leaning toward field junk too, but was hoping someone out there had a Grape plate for comparison. Appreciate all your inputs! 

Heavy_and_Light

Lawnmower Deck pulley.
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2022, 11:16:17 PM »
I have replaced a few of them over the years. Available on Amazon for about $15 if you want a newer one...
-H&L

XRdsRev

• History_Hoarder63 on Instagram
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2022, 05:34:11 PM »
Here is a broken grape plate.  Gives an idea of what it should look like.
#History_Hoarder63 on Instagram

Tex27

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2022, 09:56:15 AM »
Here's one