Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Bill Lockridge (Selma Hunter) has passed  (Read 2105 times)

Pete George

• Email
Bill Lockridge (Selma Hunter) has passed
« on: August 28, 2022, 12:27:48 PM »
On August 27, 2022, our Confederate compatriot William E. (Bill) Lockridge has "crossed over the river." He passed quietly at his home in Mint Hill, NC.

Bill, known as Selma Hunter on this forum, served the civil war relic hunting & collecting community for many decades by freely sharing from his vast knowledge-base, built from his never-ending research into Confederate archival records. As his posting-name implies, his specialty was the Selma Arsenal and its products. He was the author of several authoritative books on that and related subjects.

As I mentioned to Bill in one of our phonecalls a few years ago:
There is a passage in the book "Company H" by Pvt. Sam Watkins, 1st Tenn. Volunteer Infantry Regiment CSA, in which the now-elderly veteran suggests that in the Afterlife soldiers like him and his fellows would get to re-fight the battles, and discuss the events and outcome afterward.

In accord with that belief, I am sure our compatriot Bill Lockridge is now getting answers to questions he'd not been able to resolve in this life, by discussing them with his Confederate heroes, such as CSN Commander John M. Brooke, and CSN Lt. Catesby Ap Jones.

"[Precisely] as you have believed, so it shall be done for you."  -- Christ Jesus

As brother Bill often said in closing... VBR,
Pete George
« Last Edit: August 29, 2022, 10:12:47 AM by Pete George »

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
Re: Bill Lockridge (Selma Hunter) has passed
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2022, 02:48:49 PM »
Well said Pete.

Yes, another great loss and a great friend.  Always willing to help.  He really fought the long fight dealing with big health issues for many years.  But he was tough and kept going and continuing his great work.  My heart goes out to his wife and son.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2022, 04:54:37 PM by CarlS »
Best,
Carl

Dr. Beach

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2022, 08:27:30 PM »
He will be missed indeed.  Some good correspondence had with him in the years.  Yep, we're gonna miss ol' Selma Hunter on this site.

Horace
« Last Edit: August 29, 2022, 05:47:57 PM by Dr. Beach »

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2022, 02:35:59 PM »
Fine words in the posts above. 

I was lucky to have had the chance to say goodbye to Bill, and I take comfort that he sounded ready.  I cannot say the same, namely that I am ready for him not to be there, particularly to talk to on those long drives we artillery lovers have to make on behalf of our hobby. 

Bill helped me in a lot of ways, and I will miss him greatly.

gflower

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2022, 08:17:25 PM »
All Well Said. I fear we all are over 60 and as the years progress our numbers will dwindle. Any under 40 year Iron Nuts?
May his sole and the souls and all of the departed Rest In Peace. Gary

Daveslem

• Email
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2022, 03:39:11 AM »
Rest in peace, Bill.
Later,
Dave Slemmer