Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Enfields with "S" base  (Read 1502 times)

Wilmington Mike

• Email
Enfields with "S" base
« on: July 27, 2022, 10:31:18 AM »
I took some pics with my phone.  I found 2 and a friend found 1.  One was carved a bit.  Found in the lowcountry with a few "P" bases also.

aggiereb

• Email
Re: Enfields with "S" base
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2022, 01:34:51 PM »
WOW!!  Great finds!!

I'm jealous.  We don't find stuff like that in the Trans-MS.  But when we do, they're hum-dingers!!

Louisiana and Arkansas are the best places to find 'em out this way.

Wes

Wilmington Mike

• Email
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2022, 09:07:41 PM »
I don't have anything like the Trans MS bullets you guys find.  I remember seeing the articles by Meigs, and I met Skip at a couple of shows early on who talked about the bullets being found in Western Theater.

aggiereb

• Email
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2022, 02:27:09 PM »
Watch Ebay!!!

Several of the Trans-MS bullets in my collection came from there. 

People apparently think Trans-MS bullets are deformed oddities and shy away from them, leaving them for us!!!  I recently got an almost perfect "Jenkins Ferry" musketoon bullet for $20.00 on Ebay.

Wes

Lazouave

• Email
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2022, 06:05:09 PM »
I dug two of the Musketoons at Okalona, AR years ago. Same hole. Only two I ever found. I covered that
hill sure I would get more! I always thought they really neat bullets.

aggiereb

• Email
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2022, 01:28:15 AM »
After getting that Jenkins Ferry musketoon, I hunted down an article in North/South Trader from 1992, written by Meigs Brainerd.  In it he discusses the differences in the Arkansas, Port Hudson, and Jenkin's Ferry variants. 

Two points of interest (at least to me) - 1) the Jenkins Ferry variant "might" be of Confederate manufacture, and (2) the other musketoon variants are probably US manufacture and issued to USCT regiments, specifically the 1st and 2nd Kansas.

Jim T

• Thomas Publications
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2022, 11:35:14 PM »
To get back on topic, the "S" base bullets made by Schlesinger & Wells in Kent, England are very rare and is a great find.

R. J. in LA

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2022, 05:30:58 PM »
Here's my "S" base Enfield I found relic hunting several years ago in the Trans Mississippi in Baldwin, LA. Only "S" base Enfield I've ever found and very happy to have that one.