Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Early Christmas present  (Read 7593 times)

Daveslem

• Email
Early Christmas present
« on: December 12, 2011, 10:46:05 PM »
Jim T picked this up for me at the Richmond show (thanks, Jim). Looks better in person. Sectioned bullet is non dug. Supposedly purchased from Mac's son. Adding this to my "Mac" collection. I have 15 bullets, a General Service eagle button, a case shot (thx eMike) and a bayonette scabbard . Does anyone know if Mac dug at Gettysburg? I would have to think he did. Also, have never seen any bullets of his from Antietam.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 12:41:07 PM by Daveslem »
Later,
Dave Slemmer

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
Re: Early Christmas present
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 09:27:30 PM »
Thats cool Dave.  I have two halves of one but cut right through the copper "acorn" powder chamber and of course no MEM writing which I really like.  I picked up a fuse at Franklin with his writing on it though.

Daveslem

• Email
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, 11:37:38 PM »
Mike,

Collecting "Mac" has become a fun niche for me. I collect everything CW but have to say dug buttons and somewhat rarer type bullets (mostly by their weird  shapes, if you can believe that) are my favs.

Anyway, I'd like to see a pic and description of the fuse you picked up.
Later,
Dave Slemmer

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2011, 02:08:27 PM »
The fuse adapter I got in Franklin is on the left.  The middle one is one I got a long time ago when Mac's fuse collection was broken up and sold off individually.  A picture of the collection before that is below.  The lead Hotchkiss case shot adapter in another recent post also came off this board with its tag.  I also got a Britten percussion fuse from it with tag and a couple others.

The fuse adapter on right is from a Mac Mason 12pdr CS sideloader ball I have but his writing has worn down to being very faint.

Daveslem

• Email
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2011, 04:47:45 PM »

Mike,

Very cool! I know you wish Mac's fuse collection was hanging on your wall. Imagine how much hunting it took to assemble it not to mention all the fuses that didn't make the cut.

I know Steve Henry has a nice portion of Mac's collection. Will have to see if he has any Antietam or Gettysburg bullets he might be willing to part with.
Later,
Dave Slemmer