Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Tools & Sights  (Read 38841 times)

Pete George

• Email
Re: Tools & Sights
« Reply #60 on: February 04, 2012, 02:01:39 PM »
  Alwion, the brass hilt of swords is typically attached to the blade's iron tang the same way as the Bormann fuze-punch's brass handle is attached to the iron blade's tang.

Note that a "distinguishing characteristic" of the Bormann fuze-punch's circular handle is that it has a flat cutout on one side of its rim.  I've been told it was manufactured that way so that it wouldn't easily roll off the limber chest's top if a gunner set it there while it was in use.

I haven't heard of any Bormann fuze-punch Reproductions being made ...possibly because Originals were plentiful and cheaply-priced until recent years.  That being said, it's possible that somebody is now making Reproductions because an Original one has gotten to be a good bit more costly than a Repro would be.

Regards,
Pete

alwion

• Email
« Reply #61 on: February 04, 2012, 04:24:10 PM »
thanks again, they seem to have creeped up to about $200. this ones a little rough but still under $100. Interesting thing about the shape and flat for anti rolling, makes sense.

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #62 on: February 04, 2012, 07:31:44 PM »
Repros were made.  The same fellow who commissioned the reproduction fuses and Bormann wrenches from a fellow in Utah, commissioned some of these.  A distinguishing characteristic is that on the repros the iron blade doesn't protrude through the brass handle and show as a small rectangle.  The one on eBay has this mark and so presumably it is not a reproduction, but I cannot be absolutely certain.

As a result of these repros showing up and confusing the market, the price for legitimate ones has fallen to more like $150, and they are tough to sell at that.

Dave the plumber

• Email
« Reply #63 on: February 05, 2012, 04:20:17 PM »
      actually,  I sold one this weekend at Dalton for $ 190.

scottfromgeorgia

• Email
« Reply #64 on: February 06, 2012, 03:41:25 PM »
Hey, tell us about Dalton. Any finds?

Dave the plumber

• Email
« Reply #65 on: February 06, 2012, 08:25:59 PM »
        Scott,    artillery was pretty weak there. Nothing of any signifigance walked in that I am aware. I sold a bunch though. And a few to first time buyers, which is good for the future of collecting. Carl handed out a bunch of cards for the website, so maybe they will join us here someday. 

alwion

• Email
« Reply #66 on: February 09, 2012, 02:24:37 PM »
sold for $155, but was really rough

CanisterD

• gottbott@embarqmail.com
« Reply #67 on: March 28, 2012, 02:07:09 AM »
I'm not sure, since I cannot see the 'pointy' end of that tool, I think it is really a 'vent punch' used to clear the vent ( usually a stuck friction primer ) so that the gun can be loaded for the next shot, and be able to insert the primer to fire the gun.  The vent pick ( prick ... take your pick ... :)  ) was longer, had a pointed end to make punching the powder bag easier, ( mine has a wooden 'T' style handle ) unlike this one which has an almost solid 'disc' style head which had to be able to withstand smacks from the artillery hammer if needed to punch the stuck primer on down into the tube. For what it's worth, that's what I think.  Dave G
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 11:04:51 PM by CanisterD »