Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: David Pearsall  (Read 3137 times)

Dave the plumber

• Email
David Pearsall
« on: October 01, 2021, 07:58:11 PM »
      I am extremely saddened to write that Dave Pearsall has passed away.  Many of you know him as 'divedigger' here on the site when he would post.  Dave was a definite 'old school ' digger based in the Wilmington, NC area.      But he was so much more. He honestly did some of the best preservation work on shells through electrolysis any of us has all ever seen, and many have benefited from his thorough work with what are now considered beautiful relics. He was also an avid diver, taking his love for searching for relics underwater. Unfortunately, he was diving in Virginia this week, and something went wrong and he did not surface with his dive buddies. An extensive search by authorities finally located him. No answer yet what wrong, but to his friends and family the loss is sudden and severe....
      Artillery shells was his passion for relic hunting, and he was good at it ! He has dug some extraordinary shells through the years.   He recovered hundreds of shells from around the area and beyond, both land and water. I was with him when I dug my first shell - an excellent  200 lb Parrott !  He was miffed at first because it was 'his spot' and he had taken me out, but 20 seconds later he was joyful for me and slapping me on the back. Thats the way he was , ever giving and sharing.
       Lots of you on the forum know him and I know we all are saddened by this news. He left us way too early, there was still alot of adventure left in him. 
       He is survived by his love, Lynda, 2 sons and a daughter, and his brightest shining star, his grandson Chase

We will all miss you Dave, and wish Lynda and your family peace in these tough days and years to come. You have left a hole in the relic community, that can not be filled.   
      There is a saying I use in days like this, ' you can't make new old friends' .  And that's so true... especially as we are all getting 'a little long in the tooth'.  A digging buddy can not be replaced, and stories and adventures go with them.   So sad.....

« Last Edit: October 03, 2021, 02:01:59 PM by Dave the plumber »

Wilmington Mike

• Email
Re: Dave Pearsall
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2021, 09:53:49 AM »
I am glad you posted this and I agree...he had a lot of adventure left in him.  So very sad for his family and friends.  Peace.

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
Re: David Pearsall
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2021, 02:38:57 PM »
This is so sad.  We will miss him terribly.

I have been told that a service will be held in Southport, NC on the morning of October 11.  My daughter's 13 month delayed wedding conflicts with this which I was afraid was going to happen.  So, Mike N. and David K. (& others who go) please send my condolences to his long list of families and friends.

I believe Linda and some others will still be coming to our show in November, as Dave and Linda had planned to.  We told her we'll have an "empty table" there for Dave, but hopefully it will soon be filled with pictures and other outpourings of the love and affection we all have for him. 
« Last Edit: October 03, 2021, 02:52:06 PM by emike123 »

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2021, 11:54:54 PM »
This is very sad news no doubt.  I was very much at a loss of words to say when Dave the plumber called to tell me.   I've had dinner with Dave Pearsall a few times in Charleston and thoroughly enjoyed the time spent with him.  We talked about going diving together but I never made it happen and regret that.  We periodically called each other to ask questions about inerting or electrolysis and I greatly enjoyed those conversations.  As Dave the plumber said, he was one of the best out there preserving iron no doubt.  Many of us have one of those numerous marked 10" balls he found south of Wilmington in our collection.  They are very distinctive with their slick look.  I'll always think of Dave when I see the few I have.  My condolences certainly go to his family for this unexpected loss.  As Dave says, sadly our family gets smaller.
Best,
Carl

relicrunner

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2021, 11:20:27 AM »
Great tribute Dave the Plumber!! I choked up a bit reading it. Love the idea of an "open" table at the Richmond show. I am privileged to have one his D marked balls in my collection.

pipedreamer65

• Email
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2021, 07:54:02 PM »
What a great guy and resource gone way too soon.  I didn't have the opportunity to meet David but I soaked up some of his knowledge here and in one on one emails.  He provided me a couple of items I was looking for, one of them completely free of charge.  I still have his notes.  Like others here, I have a slick, marked 10" shell from that pile he found in the lower Cape Fear.  One of the first "heavies" I had ever purchased, years ago.  Be at peace David.

speedenforcer

• Raulerson Relics
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2021, 05:35:46 PM »
My sincere condolences and prayers for his friends and family. May God ease the anguish and fill the void with peace and fond memories.
It's not always "Survival of the fitest" sometimes the idiots get through.

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2021, 06:32:55 PM »
Dan Frezza set up a remembrance table for Dave Pearsall at the Central Virginia Show this past weekend.  It attracted quite a few people who knew of Dave and shared a good number of stories of him.  It was manned by his close friend Dan who had lots of stories of his own to share.  At the opening of the show Mike offered some nice words on Dave and others in this hobby that we have lost since the last show.
Best,
Carl