Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Gettysburg show April 17-18  (Read 2581 times)

Lamar

• Email
Gettysburg show April 17-18
« on: April 14, 2021, 10:53:18 PM »
Anyone else gonna be there?

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
Re: Gettysburg show April 17-18
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2021, 01:09:52 AM »
Sorry for the late reply. I just saw this.  Unfortunately I'm not able to make this show.  Hopefully it is going well.  Let us know!
Best,
Carl

mramer

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2021, 09:45:37 PM »
I was there today. The show was packed until I left at 2:30. I think people are stir crazy and want to get out. Not much iron besides the plumber. It was great to see things trying to get back to normal...less the mask

Lamar

• Email
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2021, 09:51:56 PM »
Agree with mramer's assessment - I usually attend the June Gettysburg show, but a conflict with grouse season prohibits me from hitting the October show.  This show had more tables, & more people, than any June show I've attended.  The area to the left when you enter the show was open for the first time that I've ever noticed.

Another reason (besides the stir crazy explanation) it was a big show was the large amount of non CW material (predominately WWII).  I've heard criticisms in the past of the non CW stuff creeping into the CW shows - I'm more interested in the CW stuff, but I'd rather see a table of WWII goods than an empty table.  Lots & lots of Nazi stuff - maybe it's like Confederate relics - that government was in existence for a short period of time which makes items more scarce, so more desirable.  Confederate gear is more desirable to Southerners, who (I'm convinced) are more interested in that war (despite the defeat) than Northerners.  Almost all of the battles took place in the south.  More hardships were suffered by southern civilians, and accounts of those times are still remembered by many.  (I have a bucketful of civilian stories passed down to me.)  These last four sentences wouldn't apply to collectors of Nazi relics here in the states, but I think there is an acknowledgement of military efficiency of the German forces, and appreciation of German technology and quality of its military goods.  There also might be an attraction in collecting gear from an evil regime.  (Do not think that I am not very much aware of the horrible war atrocities, inflicted on a scale never seen before or since, committed by the Germans.)  I've never purchased a Nazi relic, but I was given a Nazi helmet by a friend, which I think is "cool" (although I wouldn't display it in my living room).  Those of you who know much more than I do tell me why you think there is an attraction for Nazi relics.

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2021, 08:27:04 PM »
I agree entirely with what you say "that government was in existence for a short period of time which makes items more scarce, so more desirable".  They are half of the story and much more scarce.
Best,
Carl

Garret

• Email
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2021, 04:08:22 AM »
Good points by Lamar.   I collect primarily Union artifacts because I am particularly enamored with the boys in blue who either went out to preserve the union or were trying to end slavery.   Either way, two causes I wholeheartedly support.   I do have some Confederate iron. currency and paper documents, but not a lot compared to the Union.   I think the whole war is a fascinating part of our history and I would hate to see it crumble away because younger generations either are not being taught how important that war was or are not being taught in a way that makes it relevant and interesting to them.   
As far as Nazi relics go, I can understand the interest in them, however, as an American, if I were to collect WWII artifacts it would be USA all the way.   I have no interest in collecting the memorabilia of another country. 
My two cents.   
"Suppose you were an idiot.  And suppose you were a member of Congress.  But I repeat myself."  Mark Twain

Jim T

• Thomas Publications
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2021, 04:27:50 PM »
Yes, this was a busy show.  Nearly 500 tables and spread out to accommodate for extra space around tables (12' aisles) per Covid protocol.

This was a "first" show, being the first of what will be an annual Spring Gettysburg collector's show. However this, and the October show, are actually not "Civil War" shows. We grew out of an all CW show past but do now advertise them as military collector and gun shows. We chose to make the distinction for: 1) several of us involved collect other periods. 2) with numbers of younger CW collectors dwindling, it was hoped that getting them into the show with their interest in WW1/WW2, perhaps seeing some cool CW stuff along the way might bring them to the dark side. 3) Even at so-called "all CW" shows there is plenty of WW1/WW2 stuff to be had, so it was decided to stop fooling ourselves...embrace, don't deny.

I still believe the Spring and Autumn Gettysburg shows are predominately CW shows based on material for sale.