Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Clay Round  (Read 3119 times)

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
Clay Round
« on: October 27, 2020, 07:03:28 AM »
One item I picked up at Gettysburg was this round previously known as a pinched waste Confederate Armstrong round but now known to be made for the Clay Rifle.  It is not fired and came from the group of well known CS shells found at High Bridge, VA.  I was very excited to add this to my collection.  Mike ran across this at the show first but was quite kind to pass on it and let me get this for my collection.  Much appreciated.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2020, 01:59:01 PM by CarlS »
Best,
Carl

rommack

• Email
Re: Clay Round
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2020, 07:50:35 AM »
I love that shell Carl !

mramer

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2020, 08:42:15 AM »
Very nice shell Carl.
I pass high bridge almost weekly making deliveries from Richmond to Lynchburg and always makes me think about the picture of the cache of shells that were found there.
The picture is in the book "The Illustrated History of the American Civil War" for those who haven't seen it.

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2020, 02:23:50 PM »
Good reminder.  I'll have to dig it up and share it.
Best,
Carl

gflower

Re: Carl Want a Letter from the Guy Who Found that Shell?
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2020, 10:13:39 PM »
Carl
One of my dear long time friends is Tom Brooks who is pictured in that famous photo and who along with two buddies found that great pile of shells? He lives here in my town and I would gladly hook you guys up! Your ole friend and fellow relic hunter. Gary

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2020, 09:54:49 PM »
Here is one of the pictures showing the shells (or at least the bulk of them) that they found.  That is Tom Brooks on the right and his friend Mike Petrakos on the left.

Gary: That would be neat to do.  I'll take you up on it if I can make it down to Jacksonville.
Best,
Carl

Lamar

• Email
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2020, 11:56:13 PM »
Mike provided me (eight years ago) with a link to the High Bridge cache of shells recovery story - it was on Plez Bagby's site.
The link no longer works - does anyone have that story?

redbob

• Email
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2020, 08:30:42 AM »
Are those the Clay's in the middle of the picture?

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2020, 09:58:18 AM »
Looks like it to me.  I was told only 13 were ever recovered, but there appear to only be 10 in that photo. 

redbob

• Email
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2020, 10:27:43 AM »
In the article that I read, it stated that at the time (1960-61) that they were selling the rounds for between $2.50 and $12.50 apiece. Ah, those were the days. :)
« Last Edit: November 06, 2020, 10:29:34 AM by redbob »

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2020, 08:14:52 PM »
Might be that some of the Clay's found a home before the picture got taken.  Gary can you check with Tom to see how many he remembers there being?  I think I recall there being an article oni the NSTCW too.

RedBob: I paid a little more than that!
« Last Edit: November 06, 2020, 08:16:04 PM by CarlS »
Best,
Carl

redbob

• Email
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2020, 09:02:04 PM »
I have what I believe is a copy of the  article by W.L. Graham that I believe was in North South Trader titled Projectiles Tell Story of '65 Action At High Bridge Over Appomattox River.. It covered more about the projectiles themselves and there was an article by J.S. Wamsley titled The Iron Treasure of High Bridge that was on the Virginia Civil War Relics website in 2013. This article was more an overview of the whole recovery story. BTW the Clay is a real beauty.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2020, 09:19:20 PM by redbob »

Woodenhead

• Email
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2020, 09:25:36 PM »
Does anyone know if these projectiles were imported? Maybe they were made in Richmond by Samson & Pae who repaired the exploded breech in 1862. Initially, I thought these were Armstrongs.
Woodenhead

redbob

• Email
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2020, 09:32:56 PM »
 Dickey and George labeled these 12 or 13 recovered shells as British 3 inch lead sleeved Armstrong common shells. In the NST's article, Graham makes the case that they were for the Clay Rifle and not an Armstrong. There was reportedly at least one of these rounds recovered at Dutch Gap during the War.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2020, 09:36:44 PM by redbob »

gflower

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2020, 10:45:13 PM »
Carl,
I will follow up with Tom this weekend. I know he has a photo of Tom Dickey in the hole where the cashe came from about 12-15 feet into the hole but all he found was a 6lber solid shot! ( Tom Dickey is on another thread but the story has cross over appeal) just tell me if you want a letter or to hook up for lunch if you get down my way and I'll make it happen. In the mean time I'll check on the number of shells found 12 or 13. It also seems like he told me that there may have been a few shells around no long ago in someone's basement? I'll follow up on that too. Gary