Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Gettysburg Show  (Read 2334 times)

redbob

• Email
Gettysburg Show
« on: October 25, 2020, 11:33:51 AM »
How is/was the Gettysburg Show and from it, what does the future of the shows look like?

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
Re: Gettysburg Show
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2020, 02:03:22 PM »
I'll let you know if I am sick in a week!

Beyond that, the opinions will probably depend on the experience of the individual responding.  Carl will say he had a great show for buying while I struck out on adding anything of significance that wasn't prearranged to my collection, for example.  I think there would be a general consensus that the gate traffic was relatively light.  I was not at Chattanooga during the times it was open to the public but heard that the "gate" was better there.  That was also a show held during COVID times.  I do know some of our colleagues and customers stayed away from both due to the risk of getting sick.

I think generally sales were good.  Demand is solid both at shows and online.

I felt like the spacing was good and most of the people wore their masks like they were supposed to (compliance was also better, however, at Chattanooga from the limited time I was there to observe).  I heard the Gettysburg show hotel was not great at a time when you want a clean place most of all.  One friend said he had bugs in his bathroom.  I stayed at a big chain hotel a few miles away largely for that reason.  The expo center venue is pretty tired and the bathrooms in particular are stinky due to poor circulation which was off putting.

I accomplished what I wanted to there and enjoyed seeing friends.  I tied it in with several other things along my route.  I like the promoters and wanted to support them, but I am pretty sure I wouldn't make the trek again just for that show.  Its a nice time of year to go to Gettysburg, however, and I have other interests not far away so hopefully I can string things together and do it again.

redbob

• Email
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2020, 02:30:50 PM »
Thanks for the input, I guess that only time will tell on a number of fronts and good luck on your health concerns.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2020, 02:35:09 PM by redbob »

LeonVa

• Email
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2020, 06:16:45 PM »
From a bullet guys perspective the pickings were very slim.  It was nice to get out as it had been quite a while for me since I had been able to attend a show. I did manage to bring one bullet home so it was nice to add one to the collection.

Lamar

• Email
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2020, 08:57:54 PM »
That show (Saturday) is always on opening day of grouse season, which means an old fart like me is too tired to make the trip on Sunday.

Who do I complain to in order to move it up a weekend?

Dave the plumber

• Email
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2020, 06:56:17 AM »
    I had a good show. I retailed just a few shells , but sold a bunch of other stuff. I have come to the conclusion that no matter how much I enjoy collecting and trading in artillery, if that is all I have on my tables, people will walk right on by if that doesn't interest them, and I can have a very lonely show sitting there for 3 days.  So, I am trying to branch out a little and I bring pistols, long arms and swords and all the other items you typically see at shows.   Unfortunately, the learning curve on these items is long, and can be expensive to the untrained [ me }.        So, I sold a bunch of other stuff to help pay the bills and pay expenses. I don't set up at all these shows all around the country to make money. It would be nice, but that is typically a fallacy, especially for us cast iron guys. I go to enjoy seeing  relics, maybe find something for my personal collection and enjoy educating and sharing with the public.  And most fun is hanging with my friends there and after closing with people like Carl and Mike and any other forum folks in attendance.  And of course, hanging in Gettysburg is unlike any other show location

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2020, 06:56:45 AM »
Complain to Steve Sylvia.  He is the primary promoter of the show.

I agree with Mike's description.  I was able to buy two real nice additions to my collection and a handful of other items to sell or maybe keep.  Sales were ok for me but artillery has never sold strong at that show for me.  The other table holders I spoke to had either a good or real good show.  It is a beautiful place to visit and I get to pick up some nice fresh apples from a local grower no the way home.
Best,
Carl

Lamar

• Email
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2020, 08:52:07 PM »

Who do I complain to in order to move it up a weekend?

I hope people realize I wasn't serious about changing a show date to accommodate one grouse hunter in Virginia.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2020, 08:53:28 PM by Lamar »

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2020, 08:18:56 AM »
I appreciate your humor Lamar, but I appreciate you even more because your Wahoos beat the Tarheels Saturday.  The boys in baby blue must've been looking past your game to the battle for the Victory Bell at Wally Wade this coming Saturday.