Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Confessions of a Relic Hunter  (Read 2523 times)

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
Confessions of a Relic Hunter
« on: October 07, 2020, 08:03:51 PM »
I have been working on obtaining this tape for a long time.  Now that I have it, I am going to try some new technology here to post fairly lengthy audio files.  If it works, I know you will all enjoy this.

Part I:
https://www.buzzsprout.com/1403095/5793034

Part II:
https://www.buzzsprout.com/1403095/5793046

Daveslem

• Email
Re: Confessions of a Relic Hunter
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2020, 10:02:02 PM »
That was great! Thanks, Mike.
Later,
Dave Slemmer

callicles

• Email
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2020, 11:32:59 PM »
That is absolutely priceless!!! Thanks for posting!! He was an incredible story teller!! Do you have any more?

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2020, 01:32:32 PM »
I thought you'd enjoy hearing it.  Although known to exist, this "Confessions of a Night Relic Hunter" recording took literally years to track down and secure.  I am not aware of any others aside from the more widely distributed documentary, War Under the Pinestraw, made by his nephew:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHYMpa3YU2Q

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2020, 12:19:09 AM »
Extremely enjoyable.  He sounds even more Southern than I remember.  Tom passed away on December 8, 1987 at 62; he would be 95 this year. I periodically think about how excited he would have gotten about some of the great finds that have been made and all the great artillery research that has happened.

Mike: Thanks for sharing!
Best,
Carl

rommack

• Email
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2020, 09:20:10 AM »
Thanks Mike , It was like old times hearing him talk. He had that classic southern gentleman accent that I have never forgotten.  I made several memorable hunts with him that I will never be able to repeat as it was never a dull relic hunt when you dug with Tom Dickey.  Truly one of a kind.   Ronnie

callicles

• Email
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2020, 01:55:50 PM »
I thought you'd enjoy hearing it.  Although known to exist, this "Confessions of a Night Relic Hunter" recording took literally years to track down and secure.  I am not aware of any others aside from the more widely distributed documentary, War Under the Pinestraw, made by his nephew:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHYMpa3YU2Q

Thanks for the video. I have not seen that unedited version. Do you mind if I share the podcast stories with folks on other sites?

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2020, 05:28:15 PM »
I'd prefer you referred them here to access it (with a link to this thread).  It might attract bulletandshell.com forum awareness and membership, but they don't have to be a registered forum member to see and click the links above.  Thanks for asking.

callicles

• Email
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2020, 06:28:26 PM »
I'd prefer you referred them here to access it (with a link to this thread).  It might attract bulletandshell.com forum awareness and membership, but they don't have to be a registered forum member to see and click the links above.  Thanks for asking.
Great idea - Will do!!

Wilmington Mike

• Email
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2020, 11:02:58 AM »
This was great.  I only met this Civil War legend once.

gflower

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2020, 10:39:26 PM »
Thank you Mike,
Reminds me of old times and hearing his voice brought back many memories. I only wish my dad had been with us to hear Toms voice again. I also wish I had taken the time to tape many of the early pioneers of relic hunting which I had the pleasure of hunting with as a young boy. As I drove down 95 just today past exits we would take to get to some of our hunting spots I muttered ( as I do every time we go by these places  " them boys was up in there" my wife now mutters those words as well as if to pay the same homage to them as I religiously do! Thank you again for the great trip down memory lane. Gary