Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Clay Round  (Read 3197 times)

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
Re: Clay Round
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2020, 11:18:01 PM »
Woodenhead:  These shells were very likely made here as Bill Graham's article indicates.  There are two thinks that really indicate CS manufacture when I look at it:
1) CS Copper fuse adapter in the fuse hole.  It is not likely if they were Armstrongs they came from England able to use that adapter.
2) There is a very big lathe dimple in the base.  I presume that this was to true up and size the thick lead covering so it would fit into the bore easily and be centered so as to not wobble in flight. 
I remember when I was young these being called Wasp Waist Armstrong shells due to their physical appearance.   It would appear that when fired they only engaged the rifling at the thicker part of the lead at the top and bottom.  It would be great to see a fired example.
Best,
Carl

Lamar

• Email
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2020, 12:52:01 AM »
I have what I believe is a copy of the  article by W.L. Graham that I believe was in North South Trader titled Projectiles Tell Story of '65 Action At High Bridge Over Appomattox River.. It covered more about the projectiles themselves ...

Thanks - a Google search turned up an index that indicates it was in The Artilleryman, Vol. 29, No. 2, 2008.
https://tinyurl.com/y3re3xds
(I'm not smart enough to link directly to the index - open the WorldPress.com link.)

Is either (or both) article in a form that wouldn't be difficult to provide a copy (copies)?
« Last Edit: November 07, 2020, 12:58:25 AM by Lamar »

Woodenhead

• Email
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2020, 12:59:39 PM »
Here's what I've got on the Clay shells. I'll bet at least one intact example has been found at Bermuda Hundred. I don't think the lead was sized closely. Just close enough to jam into the breech.
Woodenhead

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2020, 04:01:29 PM »
I think I have the only fuse to one of these out of the shell (see Jones page 46).  It looks like a regular CS copper time fuse adapter at the top, but the threads are 8tpi.  I have to wonder why if it was made on Southern soil they would make the threads unique to any other Confederate made shell.

Woodenhead

• Email
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2020, 01:24:54 AM »
I agree. I estimate about 100 of these lead-covered rounds crossed the ocean with the lone gun. If only approx. 13 rounds were available, the South would never have gone to the trouble of repairing the gun and making special fuzes.
Woodenhead