Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: A Bullet Acquisition Possibly  (Read 1783 times)

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
A Bullet Acquisition Possibly
« on: July 28, 2020, 10:52:31 PM »
Well here I am in the lead section again.  Seems to be getting more frequent.  but I am learning a great deal  And in fact am at that point where I realize I really know very little about small arms projectiles.

While visiting Charlie Harris on Saturday night at the Chattanooga Show I was able to acquire a big round lead ball that had a patina I just couldn't pass up.  The ball measures 0.84", is well made and seems perfectly round.  It has a couple concentric circles on one 'end' that I come to understand from the Thomas book indicates that it was machine made and not cast.  Charlie found this at "a site in Rossville Gap that goes through the south end of Missionary Ridge".  He said they didn't find any artillery items there and he believes this to be a bullet.  So I looked in the Handbook of Civil War Bullets and Cartridges for it but only found up to 0.72" caliber.  M&M 557 is a big lead ball bu they don't give any specs on it.  Anyone have any guidance to help me know if this is an early musket ball?

The picture below has a .58 cal MiniƩ ball next to the round ball in question for size reference.

I haven't had time to look in Ripley's book to see if it matches some canister ball. 
« Last Edit: July 28, 2020, 10:55:15 PM by CarlS »
Best,
Carl

speedenforcer

• Raulerson Relics
Re: A Bullet Acquisition Possibly
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2020, 12:21:22 AM »
Carl, get back to your room. lol.
It's not always "Survival of the fitest" sometimes the idiots get through.

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2020, 09:02:56 AM »
Sorry, Charlie, but its a lead canister or case shot.  This size fits the 2.6" Wiard canister.  Also, on page 67 of McKee and Mason this size is listed as being a case shot in 8"-11" cannon balls.

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2020, 10:00:02 PM »
Nope.  Charlie said it was a musket ball.  It is a musket ball.   >:(
Best,
Carl

misipirelichtr

• Email
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2020, 09:38:10 AM »
I vote with Mike on this one.  I've got one in my collection recovered in the Trans-Mississippi region.  I've always assumed it to be a canister ball, and I have reason to believe it was made at Marshall, TX