Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: The proof is in...  (Read 2389 times)

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
The proof is in...
« on: July 19, 2020, 02:18:59 PM »
Proof shots are twice the rated weight for a cannon and used to test the barrel before shipping it to the field.  So, a proof shot for a 12pdr gun would be 24lbs and so on. 

As a result, they come from test ranges.  Here are three: for 12, 24 and 32pdr guns. 

speedenforcer

• Raulerson Relics
Re: The proof is in...
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2020, 04:32:32 PM »
Nice
It's not always "Survival of the fitest" sometimes the idiots get through.

divedigger

• Email
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2020, 10:43:39 AM »
badass!

R. J. in LA

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2020, 09:50:11 PM »
Very cool!

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2020, 12:04:48 AM »
Very nice.

I wonder if the rounded pill shaped shot used a wooden cup to get a flat surface for the charge to impact like a normal round would have?
Best,
Carl

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2020, 11:07:54 PM »
I've been wanting to post this for some time but the USPS had other ideas.  It was shipped to me on 8/6/2020 and I just got it two days ago; almost 6 weeks.  But at least it showed up!

Pictured is a 12 pounder proof shot just like one in Mike's photo.  It came out of the Richmond area so presumably is from Tredegar.  It weighs 22lbs 7oz.  The 12 pounder solid is shown for comparison.  It is my first proof shot and I'm glad to add it to my collection.
Best,
Carl

pipedreamer65

• Email
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2020, 12:51:34 AM »
I replied to Mike's post about UPS...  can't win from losing..   USPS shipping is incredibly slow right now,  especially from areas in the north.  I was looking at tracking on some stuff i bought, it sat for almost 2 weeks in the same distribution center before it got moving again.  Another apparently spent 4 days in constant transport between depots an hour away from each other (Raleigh and Greensboro)

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2020, 01:04:10 PM »
Yes, this was only coming from NC but still took 6 weeks.  The USPS hasn't always been perfect but largely they got the job done.  But the politics involved have derailed their service.  Now stuff is taking a very long time to get there and any claims have to be made within 60 days of USPS accepting the package.  In my case it made it barely before the time limit.  The bad part is they don't have much in the way of tracking.  When I went down to the post office they couldn't see much more than I can online which is minimal.  I've shipped a lot lately via UPS and they've done a good job for me plus the tracking is a little more timely and detailed.  But obviously they are having some issues too.  But given experiences Mike had I'm not sure what the answer is.   Maybe they both just want to service Amazon and not the general puclc.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2020, 01:17:41 PM by CarlS »
Best,
Carl

Garret

• Email
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2020, 03:45:01 AM »
The post office by Mike's place is crap.   Mike told me it's the one by the airport, so no matter what, it's going to go through there.   It's called Elk Grove USPS and every time I buy a shell from Mike it gets stuck there for a couple of weeks.  It'll arrive but it just says something like your package is moving within the system but it's really just stuck there.   I finally looked on Yelp and it has TONS of one star reviews.   And you know those reviews that say "if I could give no stars I would...."    I finally left a bad one myself.   I think it's called the Bermuda Triangle of the midwest.   
"Suppose you were an idiot.  And suppose you were a member of Congress.  But I repeat myself."  Mark Twain