Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Dr, Lawrence Pawl projectiles  (Read 2245 times)

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
Dr, Lawrence Pawl projectiles
« on: June 10, 2020, 10:41:15 PM »
Two James "hot shot" bases.  I got the 12pdr one on the right from Dr. Pawl when he was unwinding his James projectile collection.

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
Re: Dr, Lawrence Pawl projectiles
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2020, 10:54:20 PM »
Very neat projectiles.  Would love to add the 12 pounder size to my collection.  I remember back in the 70's I was hunting a hill across from a fort on the Mississippi River and I found the canister version of one of these (flat top rather than the cup) and a few large lead balls around it.  Had no idea what it was.  There wasn't much trash there and it looked old so I hoped it was something Civil War related.  When I found out what it was I high five'd myself.   ;D  Some month later not too far from that in the bottom of a trench I dug a dutch oven upside down.  Under that was a hotshot base and a 6-lber ball.  one of my favorite holes ever.  Again I had to high five myself but was glad to.  ;D  I'd really get excited to find the 12-lber size.

When Dr. Pawl started putting his James collection together I was building my first house.  I sold the few James I had to him though Jack Melton which included a James for the rifled 12-lber.  One of the many shells I sold over the years that I regret selling.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2020, 10:57:56 PM by CarlS »
Best,
Carl

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2020, 06:15:20 AM »
I think the "hot shot" bases are really just sabots in an integrated system where the sabot and ball were wrapped in burlap.

Here are two more that Dr. Pawl pressed on me, and I am glad he did.  They are considered to be early experimental Parrott shells and are the exact two shown on pages 252 and 253 of his and Jack's hardcover book.

jonpatterson

• Email
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2020, 07:26:28 PM »
Ahh, a discussion on James projectiles, so I must join in. One of the favorite James in my collection is a 2.6" Bolt for the Wiard Rifle that came from the Pawl Collection
It is history that teaches us to hope.

Robert E. Lee

jonpatterson

• Email
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2020, 07:31:11 PM »
A second James I have from the Pawl collection (supposedly at some point, but definitely from the Adamson collection) is my 7" James Shell.

Robert E. Lee

Garret

• Email
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2020, 04:43:07 AM »
Jon Patterson hijacked the thread by showing off his James collection!!! ;D ;D ;D
"Suppose you were an idiot.  And suppose you were a member of Congress.  But I repeat myself."  Mark Twain

jonpatterson

• Email
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2020, 07:54:23 AM »
 :'( :'( :'(  Purely a result of "The Law of unintended Consequences", seemingly the only law currently in effect.   :)

I never met Dr. Pawl, or if so did not realize it. I most certainly would have enjoyed chatting with him.

May he rest in peace and his wisdom continue to guide us. My sympathy to his family and friends.

Robert E. Lee

Garret

• Email
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2020, 01:47:08 PM »
Just kidding, Jon, love seeing your James collection!  Wish it were mine!

Was Dr Pawl’s collection like Mike’s, all encompassing, or was he selective in his collecting?
"Suppose you were an idiot.  And suppose you were a member of Congress.  But I repeat myself."  Mark Twain

jonpatterson

• Email
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2020, 11:39:49 PM »
I knew you were kidding Garret. Hope you get to GA sometime to visit. Would be glad to show you the rest of the Gang.

Robert E. Lee

Garret

• Email
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2020, 03:57:53 AM »
Haven't been to Georgia for ages, but will revisit one day to see all the Atlanta Campaign battlefields and the museum.   Thanks for the invite!