Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Trench art?  (Read 2352 times)

vcorps70

Trench art?
« on: April 09, 2020, 10:32:11 PM »
In the past couple of months I have seen for sale 2 different minies (photo of one attached), both apparently Enfields, with bases very similar to the attached photos of a bullet that has been hiding among the carved bullets and other "trench art" in my collection. It is a 3 ring star base, .556 in x .96 in. Have any of you diggers and collectors ever come across anything like these?   I would greatly appreciate any input. Many Thanks

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
Re: Trench art?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2020, 08:58:53 AM »
You see bullets and even artillery projectiles with a curled under base rim.  I have heard speculation that they were banged down on a hard surface.  I don't see any damage to the nose of these bullets, but I would think that it more likely they were mashed in a barrel that contained the tendency to spread outward with only the curling under and inward possible.  Certainly open to other thoughts on this phenomenon...

Wilmington Mike

• Email
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2020, 10:21:04 AM »
I have seen a few.  This is a .58 "French".  The whole bullet seems to have been smoothed- the grooves are less distinçt.

vcorps70

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2020, 12:01:39 AM »
It seems that these bullets may be a somewhat common find. I’m curious to find out if anyone has found any while metal detecting or if they show up at relic shows. I’m on the west coast and limited to “catalogue collecting” and gun shows.

Jim T

• Thomas Publications
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2020, 09:12:30 PM »
As Mike said, this is caused by considerable "tapping" on a hard surface.  I have dug these in camps myself no doubt made by bored soldiers, but I witnessed one being made (over time).  While dating my wife, I gave her a bullet {I screwed an eyelet into the nose} which she hung on her book bag. And over the college years the constant banging on desks in every class as she put her book bag down caused this exact inward "rounding" of the skirt.  If I can find it (it's been 35 years since our college days) I'll post a pic.

vcorps70

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2020, 01:41:40 AM »
Thanks for the responses, they are appreciated!  The rounded over surfaces look like they had been tapped with the bowl of a spoon or similar object.