Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Bronze Cannon ID  (Read 2442 times)

Lazouave

• Email
Bronze Cannon ID
« on: February 01, 2020, 05:49:23 PM »
Recently bought the pictured cannon. No markings. 3.5" Smoothbore. Swell at trunions. Well made. Shows extensive wear from being elevated. Barrel interior has recess below the vent. Total depth of bore is approx. 38.5" Barrel to cascabel is 41.25". Cascabel length is 3.45". Trunions are 2.75" diameter.

Any ideas as to origins or maker?

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
Re: Bronze Cannon ID
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2020, 10:10:28 AM »
Welcome to the dark side.  Nice!

I think that smaller diameter cavity at the end of the barrel makes it a howitzer.  Beyond that, I cannot really help.  You might correspond with Tom at Historical Ordnance Works.

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2020, 11:06:55 PM »
Interesting that the bore is 3.5" and the trunnion is 2.75".  I was under the impression that most (if not all) cannons had the trunnion diameter match the bore size.  But having heard that I never have checked it out.  So just now looking in Ripley's book I see that I was not accurate in that belief.  Some are the same and most are close but a few vary a good bit like this example you have.  I noticed the Brooke rifles tended to have the trunnion with a bigger diameter than the bore.

Beautiful patina on your gun.
Best,
Carl

speedenforcer

• Raulerson Relics
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2020, 04:54:28 PM »
I like it, but is it just me or does the walls of the tube seem awful thin for that bore diameter?
It's not always "Survival of the fitest" sometimes the idiots get through.

Lazouave

• Email
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2020, 03:28:48 PM »
Carl, I though the same originally too on the trunions. But may also, explain it is made with a swell or band in that area.

Speedenforcer - I though the wall thickness was unusual, especially considering the quality of the casting of the overall guns internior and exterior.