Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Dalton Show  (Read 4709 times)

Selma Hunter

Dalton Show
« on: January 03, 2020, 07:19:55 AM »
All,

FWIW, son Parker and I will attend the Dalton Show arriving Friday afternoon.  I look forward to seeing many forumites and other old friends again.

See you there!

Garret

• Email
Re: Dalton Show
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2020, 07:38:30 PM »
How about someone post some pics of the artillery that showed up at the Dalton show for all the folks who couldn't get out there?   
"Suppose you were an idiot.  And suppose you were a member of Congress.  But I repeat myself."  Mark Twain

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2020, 11:30:50 PM »
Bill: Looking forward to seeing you and Parker.  Drive safe.

Garrett: I'll try to remember!

Everyone: Dalton is a great show.  If you can make it I highly recommend it.  Generally a very good buying and selling show.

Will be accepting any drilling or cleaning anyone needs me to do.  Can bring and I can ship back when finished or deliver to another show.
Best,
Carl

Dave the plumber

• Email
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2020, 08:43:02 PM »
          see ya all there !!   I'll be set up with 2 tables also. Hope the weather is good up there, as traveling that time of year can be dicey \ icey !

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2020, 06:08:34 PM »
Weather looking pretty good.  a 30% chance of rain Friday night and early Saturday morning but otherwise dry and temps will be in the middle 50's.  See everyone there!
Best,
Carl

Selma Hunter

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2020, 09:04:56 AM »
Managed to escape the hospital after 8 full days yesterday.  WILL NOT be making the show.  Really wanted to see many of you.

Have fun!

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2020, 01:09:56 AM »
You'll be missed Bill.  Hope everyone else can make it that planned to attend.
Best,
Carl

Garret

• Email
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2020, 03:50:22 AM »
Jack Melton has been posting pics on his Facebook page of the Dalton Show.  3D photos.  Looks like a great show. 
"Suppose you were an idiot.  And suppose you were a member of Congress.  But I repeat myself."  Mark Twain

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2020, 07:34:35 PM »
He showed me on his phone a picture of mine that he posted.  The 3D images are pretty neat.  It has been a very good show.
Best,
Carl

Garret

• Email
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2020, 03:28:08 AM »
Carl,
What were some of the rarities or the most outstanding examples of artillery that were on some of the dealers' tables?
Garret

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2020, 10:20:37 AM »
It was a good selling show.  There was a great variety of everything with something for everyone, but sadly there were too many fakes too, even in our sacred categories!  :-[  And the offenders were told their stuff was suspect but kept on at it nonetheless.  People really need to ask for advice before dropping significant amounts on things.

I didn't acquire much, but this Hotchkiss fuse in wood was one item I did manage to get.

redbob

• Email
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2020, 01:53:55 PM »
Just for my personal information, what are the fakes in our area(s) that you are referring to? Thanks

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2020, 05:26:51 PM »
"Witham Special" bullets are one of them.  He is dead now but his creations live on.  We have discussed those previously here.  Happy to exchange emails with you on some of the other stuff.

redbob

• Email
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2020, 05:31:01 PM »
Thanks, I was concerned that someone had managed to replicate iron shot and shell; because if anyone was going to be fooled by one, it would be me.

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2020, 06:41:07 PM »
There will always be spurious iron spheroids out there.  At the show I had a dealer honestly bring me a bunch of them from an historical society and I'd say fully a third were steel balls, but he sincerely wanted to confirm and not "pass the trash"  There were some very good shot in there too which I appreciated getting the opportunity to put into my insatiable canister and grape stand rebuilding projects.

I also know some pre Civil War stuff has been replicated and disclosed as such (you can buy it now as new elsewhere online), but as it gets passed along sometimes the disclosures don't always stay with it and then it becomes a judgement call.  Fortunately, Carl knows that stuff pretty well.