Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Projectile ID help needed  (Read 3732 times)

Gene WV

Projectile ID help needed
« on: November 05, 2019, 08:20:23 AM »
This Spring I had a friend offer to show me the ‘big bullet’ that a relative has. I said sure, but didn’t recognize it. At that time I had no way to measure it, but took pictures. I’ve finally gotten back over there, and here are the dimensions:
Length- 4.5”
Diameter- 2.8”
Circumference- 9”
Weight- 4lb 15oz

I couldn’t find it in my reference books, so I’m asking for some help with the ID.
Thanks for any help.

Dave the plumber

• Email
Re: Projectile ID help needed
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2019, 06:45:37 AM »
 that's a great shell. Extremely rare.      look in Dickey \ George book on page 393, and you will see the same type, in a different diameter.  I haven't time to go through all the other reference books right at this moment and get you more info, ,  but maybe someone else will chime in.

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2019, 03:18:27 PM »
Hello Gene,

Hmmm... Very odd.  Looks like a projectile.  The 2.8" diameter it would appear to be for the 2.9" rifle but the profile is very short for a long gun like that.  Is there any trace of lead or brass or other soft metal in the recesses or on the bottom.  From your (very good) images there doesn't appear to be.  I'll also say that the casting seam on the one image appears to be very pronounced for a bearing surface that would (presumably) rotate against the bore.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2019, 03:21:25 PM by CarlS »
Best,
Carl

Gene WV

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2019, 07:53:29 PM »
Thanks for your responses.
Dave- I’m a bullet guy, and unfortunately don’t have the D&G reference. I will ask around and check that page as soon as I can. The closest I could get (but not that close a match) was a solid bolt on page 126 of the McKee & Mason bullet book.
Carl- I didn’t see any residue. Here’s another pic of the base. I, too, noticed that seam, and made sure it was in the photo.

Dave the plumber

• Email
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2019, 08:08:57 AM »
   I'm gonna walk back my statement in the earlier post.   I got into looking a little harder, and the shell pictured in Dickey \ George has raised bearing surfaces, while yours has recessed with probably lead or copper bearing surfaces.   But, both shells have that same flame groove cast into it.  Very similar.    There is also a shell called a 'Mann" shell I saw somewhere that resembled it.   So, my opinion is not valid, and I really do not know what it is.  There is always the possibility of experimental CW period, or post war which has so many shells that there is not much knowledge available about.
    Come on to the show in Richmond this weekend of the 16th and 17th, Carl, Mike , Pete George and myself will all be set up there and we can all take a look at it.   Then we can give you 4 different opinions !!
« Last Edit: November 10, 2019, 08:12:43 AM by Dave the plumber »

Gene WV

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2019, 04:20:31 PM »
I don’t think I can make it to Richmond this weekend, but that is a great idea. I will see if I can get permission to take it to the next show I attend. I did peruse Google looking at WWI artillery with no luck. I’d hoped to be able to recognize it the first time I saw it and give the owner a definitive answer right away. Oh, well. Thanks again for your input. I’ll be sure to share what we eventually find out.

alwion

• Email
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2019, 04:31:42 PM »
this was ID'd by Biemeck as a 3.4" Mann, but there is another very similar. both experimental