Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Half Views  (Read 2424 times)

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
Half Views
« on: November 01, 2019, 11:57:52 PM »
Hello,

I picked up a nice Parrott 30-lber half shell from fellow forumite "Dave the plumber " at Gettysburg.  It has a nice brass sabot and the black matrix.  The thing I like a lot about it is the tin powder charge sleeve that runs from the fuse to the bottom of the shell cavity.  Due to manufacturing flaws this shell could have never exploded when fired.  The tar leaked into the sleeve and sealed off the bottom of the fuse likely preventing the fuse from igniting the charge.  I've also included my 20-lber which has the iron sabot and yellow matrix.  In both examples they contain lead case shot.  To the left of these is a non-case shot Read-Parrott half of the Bormann fused variety.  Note the squared off powder cavity at the top as compared to the normal cavity in the other two shell halves.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2019, 12:00:04 AM by CarlS »
Best,
Carl

speedenforcer

• Raulerson Relics
Re: Half Views
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2019, 05:39:06 PM »
Nice shells.
It's not always "Survival of the fitest" sometimes the idiots get through.

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2019, 10:49:24 PM »
Thanks.  I noticed while looking though The Half Shell book that the Read-Parrotts tend to have the squared off powder cavity at the top.  I guess at some point Robert Parrott decided it was wasting cavity space or making the shell nose heavy so he changed the cavity.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 09:40:13 PM by CarlS »
Best,
Carl

speedenforcer

• Raulerson Relics
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2019, 04:45:21 PM »
sounds logical
It's not always "Survival of the fitest" sometimes the idiots get through.