Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: My collection  (Read 3056 times)

Steve Phillips

• Email
My collection
« on: October 13, 2019, 01:21:00 PM »
Yesterday Tim Steadman took me to the Sons of Confederate Veterans headquarters in Columbia Tennessee. This is very beautiful 72 acre location in the rolling hills of middle Tennessee . The antebellum home was built in 1837. They are building a huge museum, over 17000 square feet. I was there to see if I want to put my War Between the States collection there. I definitely do want my collection there. I've worked most of my life assembling one of the largest collection of artillery projectiles from the war and at my age I want the collection preserved and shared with the public. So if they want it that is where it will be. I have always wanted my collection to be in Alabama but have not been able to get enough interest here. The collection will be on permanent or semi permanent loan so no one can sell any part of my collection. I will make it so Spence and Forrest will have some input and oversight of my collection after I am gone. Many museums have gone politically correct insane and we simply can't trust most museums to tell the truth without bias. By the way General Forrest and his wife are being moved along with the Forrest monument to this location since Memphis no longer wants the great man. I will be volunteering to help the museum and I hope many of my more knowledgeable friends will help as volunteers to make this museum accurate and the great museum that I expect. If you have Confederate ancestors you should consider joining the Sons of Confederate Veterans to help remember our people who's history is so often lied about. Our people were not perfect but we were damned sure better than the invaders. This museum is for the Confederate soldiers but all people will be welcome. A donation to the Sons of Confederate Veterans Museum would be appreciated.

redbob

• Email
Re: My collection
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2019, 07:05:58 PM »
I hope that they realize just how lucky they are for being considered to receive this collection.

speedenforcer

• Raulerson Relics
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2019, 08:20:32 PM »
Wow. Keep us posted. I look forward to visiting over and over. Well when I can make the trip anyway. A trip from Florida may not happen as much as I would like.
It's not always "Survival of the fitest" sometimes the idiots get through.

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2019, 05:35:42 PM »
Going to be a lot of people visiting that place on Franklin Show weekend!   They are fortunate.  The rest of us collectors are privately going "Rats!!!!".  I look forward to seeing the place.
Best,
Carl

pipedreamer65

• Email
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2019, 02:43:24 PM »
That is wonderful.  Too many great collections get broke up.  Others get donated to a museum only to languish in a basement or storage area, or worse, sold off to buy other unrelated things when the PC police strike.  Glad you have the foresight to consider what happens to your stuff and keep control even after you are gone.  Sounds like it will have a great home!

Steve Phillips

• Email
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2019, 04:53:44 PM »
Actually I bought about half of my collection from state museums so I am very careful about them. I don't want them to be about to sell my stuff to pay their salary.

Lamar

• Email
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2019, 05:46:12 PM »
It's good to be aware of places like this museum that are worthy of donations.

I had volunteered - for many years - my professional and nonprofessional services to my local high school (my alma mater).  The PC crowd, assisted greatly by the liberal college in my home town (I used to support that college, too!) packed the school board, and changed the name from Robert E. Lee High School to Staunton High School.  The local newspaper added its support, publishing inaccurate columns from guest columnists who are pseudo historians, and refused to publish letters opposing its views.  Steve Sylvia wrote a great column in North South Trader's Civil War magazine debunking inaccurate accusations of The Lost Cause and White Supremacy when statutes were erected over 100 years ago, I asked & he gave permission for my local paper to print it - but it refused.  Instead, it imported liberal columns from The Washington Post, and published letters making false claims, and regurgitating The Lost Cause and White Supremacy myths.

I've donated to the organization that (successfully) fought the Charlottesville (Va.) city council's decision to remove statues of Lee and Jackson.  City council has announced it will appeal the court's decision.  The statutes have been vandalized several times since the court's ruling, the city was active in arresting and prosecuting people who tried to remove the giant plastic shrouds the city placed over the statues during the legal proceedings, but has made no arrests for the recent serious vandalism, and has turned down offers to provide video surveillance for free.

My church, of which I've been a member for all of my 66 years, has gone off the deep end (on the national level), discouraging me from contributing in the standard method, where some of that goes to the national causes.

I have supported my college (the historic University of Virginia) over the years.  The school has a beautiful building designed by Thomas Jefferson, called the Rotunda, on whose walls hang a separate plaque for every war in our country's history, listing former students who were killed in that particular conflict.  The fact that alumni killed in the War Between the States who fought for the Confederacy were honored was deemed "hurtful", and that plaque was recently removed.

The new tax law doesn't allow deductions to charities unless the deductions exceed the (raised) standard deduction, which has cut down on giving.  In the meantime, assistance programs, the earned income credit, the child care credit, etc. have helped a lot of people who used to solely rely on charitable donations.

To sum it up, it's nice to have choices for my not so plentiful bounty that are deserving, and don't tick me off. 

Rant over - Carl, feel free to delete this if it has crossed this board's line.

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2019, 09:46:49 PM »
Lamar: No problem.  It skirted being a political discussion which I would filter out but largely centered on the care and disposition of relics to the public so all is good.   There was no name calling which I applaud you for.  Seems many people aren't able to espouse an opinion without denigrating the differing opinion with name calling and you didn't.  Thanks.
Best,
Carl