Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Partial Ground burst Case Shot Preservation  (Read 3359 times)

noonanda

• Email
Partial Ground burst Case Shot Preservation
« on: June 09, 2019, 11:31:30 AM »
Gentlemen,
Dug what I suspect is a Piece of a Ground burst Confederate 24Lb Howitzer Case Shot. It still has some Sulfur matrix as you can see, and has a few case shot still attached. I want to prevent any further Deterioration. I have asked a couple people, and some have said Polyurethane clear coar the whole thing, while others have said Slow electrolysis. I am wondering what you all would do

speedenforcer

• Raulerson Relics
Re: Partial Ground burst Case Shot Preservation
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2019, 11:58:33 AM »
Carl can answer more definitively but I think if you do electrolysis your matrix and case shot will come apart which I am sure you do not want to happen. Carl? What say you?
« Last Edit: June 09, 2019, 11:59:47 AM by speedenforcer »
It's not always "Survival of the fitest" sometimes the idiots get through.

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2019, 12:16:08 AM »
I can't say I've done electrolysis on a piece like that due to the thought that there was a good chance some or all of it would come loose.  To me it is a dug relic and I would not change that look about it.  What I normally do is wire brush the iron and rinse the matrix/balls to remove the dirt.  It appears you've done the rinse job.  The wire brushing I do is with a round wire brush on a motor driven spindle.  It does a pretty good job and make it easy to do frag edges, etc.  In your case you would clean the back and sides and not touch the shell interior side.  Cleaning with a hammer, etc. would also likely knock some balls loose.  Once clean and very dry I'd coat the iron with poly and leave the balls au natural.  But that's me for my piece.

All that said, very neat find and congratulations!  Good to see neat relics still being found.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 12:17:25 AM by CarlS »
Best,
Carl

noonanda

• Email
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2019, 07:12:52 AM »
Carl, that is my plan, just going to let it dry out for a few days before I coat it

pipedreamer65

• Email
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2019, 03:39:03 PM »
agreed, clean it by hand getting the loose stuff off.  Rust converter may not be bad idea to use on portions of it. 

I don't think the entire matrix will lift away/disintegrate, but around the edges it would certainly lift and fall away in electrolysis 

speedenforcer

• Raulerson Relics
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2019, 09:29:46 PM »
any finished pictures
It's not always "Survival of the fitest" sometimes the idiots get through.

noonanda

• Email
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2019, 06:26:21 PM »
any finished pictures

So I took a buddy's advice and did run it through electrolysis, but at 1 amp. Didnt lose any matrix or lead, and she really cleaned up good. Then let it dry out for 2 weeks in the hot garage and sealled it with clear coat

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2019, 09:37:02 PM »
Nice job.  Thanks for sharing.  I like those frags with the balls still attached. 
Best,
Carl