Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Gettysburg show june 2019  (Read 3761 times)

speedenforcer

• Raulerson Relics
Gettysburg show june 2019
« on: June 09, 2019, 09:40:11 AM »
How many are going?  Ill be there and probably wearing a Law Enforcement cap (not as a show off but for easy identification) so if anyone from the forum is there and sees me say hello. I know a few of you guys. good to put a face with a username
It's not always "Survival of the fitest" sometimes the idiots get through.

gandycreek

Re: Gettysburg show june 2019
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2019, 06:21:55 PM »
I'll be there both days.

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2019, 12:19:45 AM »
Wish I was but can't get away.  Have fun and good hunting!
Best,
Carl

Lamar

• Email
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2019, 08:42:47 PM »
I'll be there mid-morning Saturday.

gandycreek

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2019, 06:10:58 PM »
Well, I was at the show both days, just an hour or so Sunday. Had to get on the road ! Decent show. Seemed like the dealer participation was down. Definitely less. I got a nice 3" Schenkl from Nick Peruit. Show was kinda short on Iron or at least what I could afford.  :) Lots of other good relics there thou. Lots of cars in the parking lot , but the show didn't seem as crowded as in the past. Nothing like the crowds at Mansfield a couple months ago.
 Didn't see anyone with a Law Enforcement  hat on, but really didn't look that hard. :)

gandycreek

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2019, 06:56:45 PM »
These are my pickups at the show.

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2019, 01:20:46 AM »
Thanks for the report.  Nice pickups!
Best,
Carl

speedenforcer

• Raulerson Relics
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2019, 09:04:43 PM »
Gandy, I was there both days with my trusty hat. I picked up your Schenkl a couple of times Friday afternoon and Saturday but just didn't pull the trigger. It looks like the same one. it was on Nicks table. I also looked at his whitworths and the 30# Schenkl for about 10 seconds. I was going to comment but you beat me too it about the lack of Iron. Lots of firearms and swords as is usual the case. I didn't spend any money because Im fixing to buy a shell from a forumite. Well let me take that back I did commit to buying a Cavalry shell jacket a buddy of mine had but other than that I came back with the same thing I went with except a book I bought from Sharpsburg. the author was there so he signed it for me Maps of Antietam. I saw what was supposed to Be an original fence rail from Gettysburg with two Minnie balls in it but sold Friday after noon to another dealer. Not very much Iron. I guess all the dealers save that for Charleston because from my experiences that's the place to go for iron, or any other excavated item for that matter. Did make a new friend that is a police officer there and has connections with the Union Drummer Boy. Super nice guy. Only bad experience is My aging mother (77) went along and to prove she could despite mine and my wife's strenuous protest decided to climb the Pennsylvania Monument. It did not end well, falling from the top landing to the first landing (not the very top) and after a day in the emergency quite frankly we re ready to come home but we hung out. Met with my good friend who works for the park service. All and All had a great time. Sorry for rambling but it IS GETTYSBURG.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2019, 10:01:41 PM by speedenforcer »

gandycreek

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2019, 10:41:24 PM »
Yeah, I looked at those Whitworths too. $$.The 2.17" one he sold. Good for him.
Liked the #30 Schenkl and the Read bolt. Can't buy everything.
 I bought a book also, Gettysburg's Peach Orchard by James Hessler and Britt C. Isenberg. They signed it for me.
 Hope your mother is ok ! That would be a hard fall.

speedenforcer

• Raulerson Relics
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2019, 08:45:57 AM »
She is healing. That Read bolt was nice as well.

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2019, 04:51:18 PM »
Sorry to have missed the show, but I had to pick up a little "projectile" this past weekend.  The big one I occasionally call the "brown torpedo" for his ability to crash into you at warp speed so the little one will probably be similar some day, although it is for my daughter who lives on the East coast and is smart enough to have me deal with it the first month.

I did go into Nick's shop yesterday and saw the iron he got at G-burg to sell.  There was a nice Mac Mason marked 4.2" Schenkl from Alexandria, VA where I used to live that was my favorite of the leftovers but I spent my money on a bullet instead.  Funny how things come full circle... a forumite sold him that 2.17" Whitworth, and I bet I know who bought it at G-burg because he's been drooling over it ever since then. 

Nick said he was the only one with much artillery and so I am glad my priorities were elsewhere.  Too often, no good deed goes unpunished!  (My daughter's puppy is cute, but if I missed out on a 6.4" Archer, I'd never like that dog again!)

redbob

• Email
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2019, 05:19:12 PM »
That is a fine looking pair for sure, I called my chocolate lab Hershey because he was NUTS; but he was a good friend and I'm sure your daughter will be thrilled with the new acquisition.  I'll be waiting for Nick to update his website to see what goodies he has acquired. Also, if anyone is wondering what mullet bought the ugly duckling 32# Confederate canister that the Horse Soldier had for sale, I must confess that it was me, thanks to a great deal of excellent advice from Mr. Canister (Dave Gotter) it turned out not to be as bad as it looked and it has turned out rather well. But, if I never work with an acrylic tube again, it will be too soon. :-[
« Last Edit: July 04, 2019, 05:30:53 PM by redbob »

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2019, 06:43:36 PM »
Dave is the Can Man!  (aka CanisterD)  I went from Nick's place to him yesterday (6hrs apart and a parabolic route home) and picked up a bunch of things he had been working on (& dropped off a few too).  I'll be listing 2 canister he rebuilt this weekend, hopefully tomorrow.  I had big plans to get the work of 3 emikes done this weekend, but after today I have more left to do than I started with  ???  At least the ribs I cooked were tasty...

speedenforcer

• Raulerson Relics
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2019, 07:42:21 PM »
Yes I agree Nicks site hasn't been updated in a while but I know he stays busy.