Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Gettysburg Relics  (Read 3519 times)

speedenforcer

• Raulerson Relics
Gettysburg Relics
« on: May 14, 2019, 05:54:23 PM »
I was pondering the other day like most relic collectors do. But before I go into that a few disclaimers before I get a backlash.

1) Yes I know it is Illegal to relic hunt or remove artifacts from government land especially Park Service property
2) NO... NO.... I would never do that it a million years.
3) I do not condone anyone doing that.

That being said I was just wandering how many relics are actually under your feet walking through the fields at Gettysburg? I am willing to bet not as much as one might think. Its a huge place And of course there are relics but you read that right after the battle the towns folk were collecting as much as they could. We all know they did this for may years afterwards building displays to sell to tourist. Also the local collectors right after the battle. We know the army attempted to stop the theft of government property but as I said its a big place. I think  with the exception of the bullets that buried themselves as soon as they were fired or buried shrapnel there is not a lot. My opinion. I know there are a few members on here that live in Gettysburg. What say You?
It's not always "Survival of the fitest" sometimes the idiots get through.

Dave the plumber

• Email
Re: Gettysburg Relics
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2019, 08:57:03 PM »
 a freinds good buddy was walking a footpath in devils den, a few  years ago. Looked down, and thought he saw iron. Nonchantly scraped a wee bit with his foot, and sure enough,  he found a frag. Which after further investigation,  it turned out to be a complete 3 inch Schenkl percussion shell. Of course he turned it in that night....

speedenforcer

• Raulerson Relics
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2019, 10:40:36 PM »
 >:( in which case I am sure it was quickly destroyed. But he did the right thing.

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2019, 12:35:21 PM »
Just be aware they will write you up just for looking.  I've seen articles about that happening at Gettysburg and other places.
Best,
Carl

speedenforcer

• Raulerson Relics
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2019, 05:43:19 PM »
When you say looking are you meaning eyeballing or with a detector. Of course with a metal detector it would be straight to jail but eyeballing which I would not do would never be proven in court nor is it a crime to look at the ground while you are walking. Now disturbing dirt, that is another matter. I realize if you do see something while you are merely walking you cannot disturb it, if so it could mean trouble.

But as I said earlier I would not nor do I condone relic hunting government property, I am just holding a discussion on how much artifacts may or may not be left. Im really referring to the hoards of collectors immediately after the battle. I read somewhere that the army, mainly the provost marshal had a time of keeping the towns people at bay, they were collecting all the government property they could. 
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 05:49:13 PM by speedenforcer »

redbob

• Email
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2019, 06:37:16 PM »
One of the ways that the Provost Marshals handled the problem of looting was when they caught someone looting they made them bury dead horses.

speedenforcer

• Raulerson Relics
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2019, 08:06:41 PM »
Interesting, I did not know that.

gflower

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2019, 10:24:49 PM »
In the Good Ole Days, depending on the park etc. if you eyeballed a relic they let you keep it if it wasn't of significance i.e. a mini ball etc. that was many years ago but I did have a friend who hovered up a nice and somewhat rare bullet that he eyeballed in the footsteps of a famous charge.

speedenforcer

• Raulerson Relics
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2019, 10:43:48 PM »
Yes Judge, those days are gone.  :(

pipedreamer65

• Email
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2019, 07:58:19 AM »
I was walking and looking at the ground at Fort Fisher near the site of the burned garrison barracks couple of years ago.  Nothing but sand and grass there now.  Anyway, I wasn't down there 5 minutes before I had a guy following and watching me.  Walked a little further and gave it up.  Found out later they have  police/security there now.

redbob

• Email
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2019, 12:52:15 PM »
When you say looking are you meaning eyeballing or with a detector. Of course with a metal detector it would be straight to jail but eyeballing which I would not do would never be proven in court nor is it a crime to look at the ground while you are walking. Now disturbing dirt, that is another matter. I realize if you do see something while you are merely walking you cannot disturb it, if so it could mean trouble.

But as I said earlier I would not nor do I condone relic hunting government property, I am just holding a discussion on how much artifacts may or may not be left. Im really referring to the hoards of collectors immediately after the battle. I read somewhere that the army, mainly the provost marshal had a time of keeping the towns people at bay, they were collecting all the government property they could.
If you want to read a good book about the aftermath at Gettysburg (including the removal of property by civilians) it is A Strange and Blighted Land by Gregory Coco
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 12:53:36 PM by redbob »

speedenforcer

• Raulerson Relics
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2019, 05:25:26 PM »
great thanks I will look for that book